Species: Aculeatus?
Mantle Size .75"-1"
Arm Length 4"-4.5"

Timeline
Arrived 11:15
Started Acclimating (using turkey baster) 11:25
Put bag in tank 12:30
released octo into tank 12:35

Well here is my second octo! The transaction was great, I love Live Aquaria. Good Packaging with the outer box, foam container with foam nuts, 4+ bags, heater/cooler (didn't have this last time) and the octo. The water quality was much better this time, last time the pH was like 7.4.:goofysca: On a side note I have noticed that the bag/ water in the bag has a funny sweeting smell. I noticed this last time. Any idea what it is? Maybe the oxygen the pumped in the bag or a pH buffer?

Will post pics when I get some good ones! This octo is a little smaller than Curla (esp the mantle) and it bit more shy. This leads me to believe that it is a younger octo. I saw some color changing while getting it in, but nothing major. He went to the nearest rock to hide after I let him out of the bag. I don't know the sex, but I have a feeling it is a he (hopefully). It's currently hiding now with only my lunar lights on. My lights are Orbit Current power compacts from when I was gonna convert the tank into a reef after Curla died. I hope to keep these lights since I would like to still have basic corals (e.g. zoas, polyps, mushrooms, frogspawn ect...), is this ok?

I'm crazy excited to have another octopus!!!:biggrin2::biggrin2: I know now that time is short and I plan of making the most out of it. I am going to do my science project on it. I am thinking of doing something with toys or camo-mood correlation, any ideas?

There have been a couple of mentions about clothing (with other species) causing reactions and it might be fun (and any results VERY helpful to aquarists) to design an experiment around that idea. The general gist seems to be white good, dark bad (since we are sure they can't see color). Another wondering observation was an observance of possible photo sensitivity on the arms (ie can they detect light without a visual). With toys, one of the little experiements Haggs played with was to see if his in situ octo would trade but she showed a propensitiy to always have something with her.

CaptFish, it just occurred to me that the male/female acceptance might be more closely related to shades of clothing and might be something to try with Penny :gigas:

Cool, sounds like you got a nice little one. PICTURES!

CaptFish, it just occurred to me that the male/female acceptance might be more closely related to shades of clothing and might be something to try with Penny

I have done a bunch of experimenting with shirt colors. I'm unconvinced. i get attacked no matter what I wears. and Waldo definitely doesn't care either way.

Congratulations and :welcome:

Diablo is pretty friendly no matter what color I wear, opposite of Penelope. I usually wear dark colors (they are slimming :lol:) Usually black, navy, brown, red or purple. IMO this may be true with some but not all.

I have to admit that I am drawn to the complex or erratic behavior of these animals. I remember hearing Joan Beal on one of the TV specials say something like, "what a joy it was to work with cuttles because the were, unlike octopus, predictable" (she is the one you will often see with the maze that has several trap doors the octo has to find to escape the light).

I know I know, but I can't get a good picture yet! It moved into the den Curla moved into and has been peeking out of on of the entrances at me for ever. It's really funny to see that little octo eye just staring at me!:lol: I tried feeding it some frozen shrimp and it started to take it, but then pushed it away! Hopefully he will be more friendly and will take frozen tomorrow.

Yes D I know exactly what you mean, I used to stare at Curla for like an hour. Just sitting there. So I am still trying to think of a good experiment. I'll keep the shirt one in mind for sure, but I would still like to see if I could find something else. I can always do a bunch of different experiments and just choose one later. . .

hahaha pressure is on!

So I've been looking for him (I unintentionally call him "him", so until I know for sure he shall be a male) for a while this morning. He switched up on me over night. I finally found him back in the den after trying to entice him with a bit of frozen shrimp. He came out and looked at me before going out and darting back in his den through the back entrance, then looking at me through the front. He was very shy and seemed pretty scared of me. :sad: He pushed away the shrimp again, I'm wondering if I should break down and get some live crabs. Don't Live Aquaria octos usually take frozen? I really hope he doesn't stay scared of me there is so much I want to do with him. The fact that he came out to look at me reassures me a bit. Also right after I left it started down pouring here, so maybe that was it (getting back to the storm sensing from a previous thread).

Here are some pics, sorry for the quality! I did the best I could. I'll get more when I get the chance!

Attachments

• conv_296517.jpg
    conv_296517.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 136
  • conv_296518.jpg
    conv_296518.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 125
  • conv_296519.jpg
    conv_296519.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 159
  • conv_296520.jpg
    conv_296520.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 156
Welcome to your new octopus...Just a thought...over the years I have learned if you let them adjust and don't startle them, they eventually learn you are not a threat and will start seeking you out on their own. Spike has been with me for a week now and yesterday was the first time he extended an arm towards me when I approached the tank. Be patient and the reward is amazing!!!

Ok. He looks pretty stressed when looking at me, but at least he isn't running away or anything. Maybe my lighting is too high? I have Current USA 36" orbit power compacts. I have a 46gal bowfront

Lighting is one of those environmental conditions that we really don't have a good feel for ... perhaps another idea for your school project that would benefit other keepers? You could start research on diurnal octos and see what you can find about the intensity of light at the depth of normal activity and play with putting something like sunglasses (ie darkened plastic) under the light if it is high enough not to cause a heat problem. Filtering for polarized light is another area that could prove interesting ... just thinkin' :wink:

I have PC's on all my tanks and it does not seem to effect there activity. I like D's idea of an experiment. Waldo my adopus seems to like the light, as he often sits in the brightest spot he can find.

CaptFish, I actually started thinking about Penny's behavior as I wrote the post. There are numerous, scattered observations and interactions (in situ and in tank) that suggest we are missing something, possibly with lighting or reflection. I keep thinking polarized lighting. The kinds of things I am thinking about are attacks and capture of cameras and masks where there may or may not have been polarized coatings.

So my octo has been in the same spot of like 5-6 hrs and is pretty much white with his arms curled. I've see him corkscrew once in a while.. I checked the water and its fine, I put the lights back on lunar and tried to feed him some ghost shrimp. I don't think he took any of them. I also directed the pump flow towards the top for a bit more surface tension to get bit more oxygen.

AAARRRGGGG what should I do?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back