New Octo from Live Aquaria!

kpage;157144 said:
Why? I would still rather have a hummelinki. Obviously I would wait a bit to get it so I can put my tank under the microscope.. I got him out pretty fast, but I'm doing a water change as soon as I get home.

I believe its LA's policy that they will replace the animal. But you never know... they are a really good company so they might just give you a refund.

My experience with Live Aquaria has been that they will give you the option of either a refund or a replacement. If there is not an animal instock, you can request that they hold the credit for a period of time waiting on a replacement but I when I have needed to use the guarantee, the choice is up to the customer. They also refund the shipping. They are possibly the only company that fully guarantees. As Sedna mentioned in the post about hearing the owner, they are first class in what they are trying to do and their work with the customer.

correct he said they have never shipped fish before let alone octos and the little markup he puts on them would not be worth the risk...

I would just like to clarify that when I talk of getting another octopus I don't mean to be insensitive to the one I just got. It's just easier to look ahead.

correct he said they have never shipped fish before let alone octos and the little markup he puts on them would not be worth the risk...

Well if maybe I shouldn't then, I would like to get a different species though. I think I'll look around while checking out my tank. I might wait a couple weeks before another attempt, I haven't decided yet.:sad:

I'm so sorry I understand totally how you feel. My first little no name octo died that night or the next day... I dont really know which, and you feel like youre being insensitive but you arent. We all know you didnt want him to die. There was nothing you could have done. And if there was well you learned something for next time.

As far as talking about getting another one... well thats how it is, octos have a very short life and its a shame but you cant beat yourself up over every loss other wise your heart wont be able to take it.

Ok cool, thanks. Yeah I'm trying to see if anything went wrong on my end. So far all I can think of is that I didn't test for stuff like iodine, calcium and magnesium. Do you guys test those, or are octopuses particularly sensitive to one of them?

Besides that I guess it was just the stress of shipping. I wish I knew a lfs around Chicago that sells octos, but I can't find ANY. I would be willing to drive a couple hours even. I'm going to call a bunch of places later this week.

If anyone knows a lfs where they sell octos in or around Chicago let me know. Or if it's northern Illinois or nearby Indiana or Wisconsin for that matter.

I would just like to clarify that when I talk of getting another octopus I don't mean to be insensitive to the one I just got. It's just easier to look ahead.

I have gotten over that little guilt feeling but it takes awhile to be comfortable with the concern that others might think one is a "how much is that doggie in the window" aquarist. Keeping a dedicated tank, learning the best care practices and share experiences pretty well eliminates that thought but I identify with your wish to clarify. One of the positive things about journaling all animals, including the ones that are short lived and don't make it through the transition, is to help give an understanding about all sides of this niche. I have also found that an empty octopus tank is very depressing and you continually look for the animal that should be there. This is likely why I keep multiples.

Yes exactly! My empty tank is pretty depressing. I would like to get another one, but I would like to make sure that I have no readily available octos in my general area before ordering online.

Hey, I just noticed you are in Chicago, howdy neighbor :biggrin2: I am on the far NW side, where you at? If you'd ever like to stop by and see Diablo, she is a sight to behold.
There's nothing avaliable here. I saw one once at the Living Sea Aquarium in Park Ridge, bought it. Big mistake, I over paid and it lived a week. I am sticking with Tomscaribbean. I have gotten a couple wonderful octpuses from him and he is great to deal with. That being said it is always a crap shoot, never know what you're going to get.

Usually with Tom you do, I can only think of one other surprise (Sedna may have gotten a joubini instead of a brieareus) before these two. I am NOT complaining mind you :sagrin:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back