• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New Occy :)

NOT a dish washing sponge! Check your aquarium store, they likely have sponges for aquariums and I recommend staying with one made for filtration. A dish sponge has two negatives. The first and most dangerous is that they are often treated with soap or other chemicals. The second is that they are far too dense to allow the water to flow through as rapidly as you need to not overflow the tank. If your local fish store does not carry a good size (measure your opening before you shop) try looking on-line. Looking on eBay, an alternate name would be foam block and that term may be more helpful. You want it to have large "holes" verses the small ones of a household sponge, the coarser the better. Depending upon the opening a coarse filter mat might work but finding one thick enough to stay in place may be difficult. Scroll down to the picture of the black filter sponge in this eBay ad for a look at the texture of item 8133.

I got my octopus! All sorted! As soon as I put him in he dug a hole in the sand! Why? Lol and then he came and stood at the front of the tank and he started flashing colours! Do you know what tht means? :smile:

Scientists have yet to decode (if there is a decoding) the meaning of color flashing but in general, the animal was excited (not necessarily in a positive way). My general take is that behaviors during the first two weeks of tank acclimation have little to do with normal behavior but if it dug in the sand then likely it will den there. Hopefully you will get a photo soon so we can have a look at the little guy.

He isn't coming out at the moment. I fed him as the Lfs said they hadn't today, and it's taken him a good 45 mins to eat this one little fish :smile: hopefully he will come out soon and I'll be able to get some good pics so you can all help me decide what type and what sex it is :smile:
I named him SJ hehe

Be sure to feed him shrimp and crab as his main diet, fish are not the best choice. Fish from an LSF can be fatal if they have been treated with copper (most are in the large pet chains or if they have been imported).

Ok he is out running a muck!
I have whiting for now but waiting for my crabs to come :smile: here r pics! (hopefully this works!)

Attachments

• conv_300241.jpg
    conv_300241.jpg
    675.7 KB · Views: 129
  • conv_300242.jpg
    conv_300242.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 96
  • conv_300243.jpg
    conv_300243.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 123
  • conv_300244.jpg
    conv_300244.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 142
Yes, they grow back and the tiny one is in the process. I can only ID a few of the more common species (and then it takes me awhile to have confidence in my guess). This one looks like a member of the Abdopus group and I am guessing aculeatus. We expect them from Indonesia but it appears they are local to AU as well.

If my guess is correct, they are generally day active and a popular pet and not known to be aggressive (each has its own personality though). I believe this one is fully grown but I am walking on delicate territory with my age guess.

Thank you :smile: I also posted into the ID section for other opinions! I'm a little scared to put my hand in still but I'll give it a few weeks :smile:

I have PMed one of our resident experts in the species I think it is so hopefully Mucktopus is above the water this week and can confirm.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back