[Octopus]: New O. briareus, Pearl

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Animal Mother, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Hello, it's been a while!

This is Pearl, whom I was lucky enough to stumble upon when I heard a local franchise was having a big sale on 3D aquarium backgrounds. They were actually in transition to becoming an exotic fish and reptile specialty store and the sale was already over.

I hadn't even made my way over to the saltwater section when I overheard a young boy say to his father,"Wow, octopuses really do have 8 legs!"

Low and behold, there was a baby briareus flailing its arms about, trying to capture the damsels loose in the display through the tiny holes in its container.

Ta-da!

She's about 3 inches at rest, 3\4 inch mantle. At least twice as big as Kalypso when I got him.

Active at daylight and dawn, feeding on large hermits and frozen shrimp, and awaiting the arrival of our new tank. Currently residing in a large critter keeper while I catch the wifes' fish and relocate them to my reef tank. Taxes deposit any day now and we're looking towards setting up something in the 200 gallon range, and Pearl will be the sole resident. Can't wait to see an octopus take advantage of all that space!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to Pearl. Look forward to hearing more about her!
    And welcome back to the site - you're right, it's been a long time.

Nancy

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Holy Smoke! When I clicked on the new post and saw your avatar, I double checked the date to be sure I was not visiting an old post. GREAT to see you back and know you are still keeping tanks!. I see Pearl has already lost and is successfully regrowing an arm. If you happen to remember to watch and note it, we still don't have great timing :oops: on about how fast the arms regrow. Estimates vary so much that it is hard to answer that question.

4. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

AnimalMother! Great to have you back :grin:.

5. sedna

sedna Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Yahoo! Welcome Home!! So cool to have you back and that you have a new friend to share with us! Glad someone went AWOL for even longer than me… Can't wait to hear more about Pearl, and hope everything is wonderful with your family!