• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

New Mysterious Blob found in NZ

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Hi All,

got these pics from DOC officer (dept conservation) this blob washed ashore 22nd Dec on Oreti Beach near Invercargill (VERY southern NZ). They were sent to me in case it was a squid...........but it doesn't look squiddish to me! It looked mammalish! What do you think?

J

Attachments

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Dead whale, doesn't look like basking shark material to me...

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Phil;85097 said:
It's a decayed sperm whale melon. Betcha a bag of peanuts.
Would those be dry-roasted and salted? I won't accept your bet however. Definitely have to go with the whale theory.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
just to buck the trend, I'm going to go with "sentient alien fungus."

CapnNemo

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
It's quite clearly dropped it's keys and wallet. Can't you look inside the wallet and see if there is some sort of ID?

I'll go with whale, a white whale, his spout was a big one, like a whole shock of wheat, and white as a pile of Nantucket wool after the great annual sheep-shearing; he fan-tailed like a split jib in a squall, I reckon

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I would certainly vouch for Phil's theory of the sperm whale melon, the "blobettes" sticking out of the main blob, these sort of fingerlike appendages, are most likely the "junk" that's underneath the spermaceti containing reservoir. As it's partitioned by connective tissue, which is hardest to decay, I would put my money on it.

Members online