• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New member w/ tank ???

Jtrux

Hatchling
Registered
Well I tore my Oceanic 50 gallon (30 by 18 by 21, basically a short 75) down the other day with hopes of doing something interesting and different to it. I'm a member on MAAST, a south texas aquarium forum and one of the main posters set up a Cuttle tank so that got me to thinking. He recommended this site so here I am looking for some feedback.

I'm completely starting over with this tank. I was using a HOB but I ordered a bit and will drill it this weekend and put a Calfo on it (btw it will have two holes for bulkheads that accomodate 1.5 inch pvc if you anyone was wondering). I have a T5 ballast that I ordered a while back but don't have reflectors yet or the lights. I also have a Koralia 2 and 3. I was using a rubbermaid container as a sump but I got a 20H to start over with, just need to baffle it. No skimmer yet. Oh and for return pumps I have choices, a rio 1400 or 2500 or an ehiem 1262.

Or what about an octo tank. This is the third time this tank will go up but they were kind of boring, I really want a nice conversation starter, give me feed back please.

:welcome: to TONMO!

That sounds like it could be fine for a medium-sized octo or a few Sepia bandensis. (We recommend 55-75gal for bimacs and briareus, but the large sump will help.) If you're thinking of an octo or baby bandensis, it would probably be a good idea to figure out a way to screen the pipes, since any octopus you'd get or a small cuttle might easily go exploring in a 1.5" pipe... Thinking about octo-proofing while you've got it all apart would make sense, too. Also, something that's important to check from the start is that if copper-based medications (or copper plumbing) has been used in the tank, even the residual levels can be fatal to octos or cuttles...

There are a lot of folks around who can help you more than me "citing the party lines," but while you wait for them, make sure to check out the ARTICLES button at the top of the page if you haven't already; that's where the most concentrated info for new members can be found...

monty;114794 said:
:welcome: to TONMO!

That sounds like it could be fine for a medium-sized octo or a few Sepia bandensis. (We recommend 55-75gal for bimacs and briareus, but the large sump will help.) If you're thinking of an octo or baby bandensis, it would probably be a good idea to figure out a way to screen the pipes, since any octopus you'd get or a small cuttle might easily go exploring in a 1.5" pipe... Thinking about octo-proofing while you've got it all apart would make sense, too. Also, something that's important to check from the start is that if copper-based medications (or copper plumbing) has been used in the tank, even the residual levels can be fatal to octos or cuttles...

There are a lot of folks around who can help you more than me "citing the party lines," but while you wait for them, make sure to check out the ARTICLES button at the top of the page if you haven't already; that's where the most concentrated info for new members can be found...

Nope no medications, can you list examples of med ocots??

ehiem pumps will outlast those rio's, they are great..
The octo i had was kinda hard to show people because he only came out at night for the most part.
but they are great. and you can look into as a 1yr investment. if you dont like it, your octo probly want live
much more thena year.. depends on how old he is when you get him.. but i would say that a year would be good.
get the best skimmer you can for your tank as i would say they are key in good filtration.

Jtrux;114795 said:
Nope no medications, can you list examples of med ocots??

Hummelincki and aculeatus should be fine, either of the bimac species would be OK with the sump, a briareus might be a bit cramped, but might be OK (what size tank was Igor in, Carol?)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back