New LED Aquarium Lighting

koaea

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
One thing to note is how the different lighting effects pH. I haven't done a lot of reading on the comparisons between LED, PC, and MH, but I DO know that my tank (shark/reef) pH IS affected by the lighting. I notice it's noticeably different between the morning and evening.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
koaea;108957 said:
One thing to note is how the different lighting effects pH. I haven't done a lot of reading on the comparisons between LED, PC, and MH, but I DO know that my tank (shark/reef) pH IS affected by the lighting. I notice it's noticeably different between the morning and evening.
Any lighting will have the effect of driving up pH during the 'day'. At night there is more generally more CO2 in the water so you have a lower pH, in the day there is less CO2 due to photosynthesis and resp so you get a lower pH. Almost all tanks have a daily pH swing, and some reefers does Kalk at night to try to keep the level more stable over time, but IMO this is usually unnecessary.

FWIW, now that some LED lights have been used for a while no in reef tanks, people are reporting unhappiness with LED and stony corals as compared to other lighting.

tinyeung

Hatchling
Registered
I have been using the LED for my tank almost 9 months

pilotinho;52225 said:
I am doing research with LED lighting for Aquarium use. I am new to aquariums and cephalopods but am loving it. I am also an electrical engineer and it occured to me to try to build an LED lighting arrangement for my Bimac tank. As I understand it Octos have no light requirement so I figured that I had room to play. I am posting a picture of my aquarium lighted with White LED's that consume less than 10 watts. I wanted to reduce electric use and reduce heat introduced into the system and to increase the useful lifetime of aquarium lighting. Would anyone be interested in having an LED lighting system?
I have been using the LED light for my tank for almost 9 months, very nice. :lol:

Attachments

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
D.Quail

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak