• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

new lead on fiddlers....

Wild collected specimens would be awesome. Does anyone know what salinity these particular fiddlers come from? Or should I be e-mailing those who run the research station?

These guys were collected directly from the seashore, so whatever salinity level you get is just that. I'll have to check it the next time I go.
There are about six living in my support tank which has a 1.023 sg @ about 75 degrees celcius.
They seem to be doing well. I've recently read that one of the problems with this species being on the west coast is that they can tolerate wide fluctuations in water conditions and quality.

they came in and they are HUGE! A lot of them died, actually about 50% died during shipping but he shipped on a Saturday and Sunday was an unnecessary day in the box. the guy was more than willing to send more and hes got an unlimited supply! check out the pictures, these guys are 3x the size of the other ones i've been getting...

Attachments

• conv_290876.jpg
    conv_290876.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
  • conv_290877.jpg
    conv_290877.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 90
griffin- about how far away from vacaville is bodega bay? I go to school in Davis and plan to have an octopus when I move back up. Is it very far? glad to hear theres a local source. Have you ever been to the bodega marine lab?

Lets see... Bodega Bay is about 84 miles from Vacaville. Last trip took about 1.5 hours (taking my time) to get there.
I have not been to the marine lab, however if this crab thing works out I will definetely check out the local scene.
I wont be able to really get things going until after my daughters H.S. graduation (June 9) but I will need to make a quick trip before then because I am just about out myself.
That being said...anybody in the Sacramento/Bay Area that needs shore crabs can send me a PM and I'm sure we can work something out.
The ones I collected on my last trip have worked out very well, they tolerate the warmer water of my support tank and eat fresh/frozen shrimp readily.

I would be very interested as well. Especially if you would do 2nd or 3rd day air. As stated before, It would all be about the shipping costs. right now I am getting fiddlers for 40-50 cents each.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back