• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New-ish, I need some help :(

So I've been following the site for a year or so, decided to make a profile finalllllly.
Now, I've ALWAYS wanted a cuttlefish. I know they don't live long, and I know they're alot to keep up on, and all that. They're my favorite animals in the WHOLE world, I just need to have one, life goal. They're gorgeous.

Anyways, I've found a ps that sells cuttlefish eggs. Now, I know that there's a chance that the eggs will not hatch, so I don't know if I should buy 1 egg, 2 or 5 (that's the amounts that they sell them in). I'm scared that if I just buy one, it may not hatch :/

Also, I mean, I know a good amount about cuttlefish. But when it comes to how to make their tank comfortable for them, I'm not too sure about that. I know, I should probably know that first... Hence me asking. :smile:

Woo, that was a really helpful article, thank youuu :smile:
So not many people are replying to this, lol. Meh.

I found this ps in Cali (I'm in IL) that say they're selling adult cuttlefish, do you think that I could possibly get eggs from them? I know that usually the adults have more chance of dying after a few weeks of being shipped. Seems kind of expensive (150$) for one that's just going to die faster than if I were to get eggs (5/$60).

Question number one, what size is your tank and is it cycled? That, and :welcome:, obviously :wink:

Have you found a reliable supplier of cuttlefood nearby, already?

I haven't gotten a new one yet. I had my dad's old one that he gave to me (he got a bigger one) that he was using for his reef, it was a 125 gallon. I had to get rid of it when I switched apartments. I was thinking if all 5 are going to hatch I'm probably going to need either the same or a little smaller so I've been looking. I honestly have no idea what I'm going to all need in the tank besides the obvious. Is there anything special they need? :/
I really want to make sure I know all I can before I buy the eggs.

And not yet, I'm working on that too. I have suppliers of the food that they'll need when they get older just not sure about the mysids yet, neeed to work on finding a supplier for those.

I probably seem like I shouldn't be doing this with my lack of knowledge but I've upheld a reef, and I heard that if you can do that then you'll be good at caring for cuttles. I want to be a cuttlefish mommy :frown: haha.

really, the best thing you can do is read though some of the "tank setup" threads, the "journal" threads and get your tank set up. You need to have your tank set up and going before you even start looking for eggs. trust me. there isnt a steady stream. but when they are available, sometimes there are lots to go around.

so, read the articles, set up your tank with some damsels or something, allow it to cycle (or make sure its not going to) and then get some cuttles. dont buy the adults from the place in cali. imagine being captured, bagged and placed in a box of complete darkness for 24 hours and being sloshed around by a ups driver. your experience of it wouldnt differ that much from what a cuttle would think about it. they're fragile lil guys and dont travel well. get some eggs and you'll be golden.

Well yea I planned on getting the tank setup and all first that's why I was wondering what I need special for them so I can get it all ready. Thanks I'll probably go look at some now then.

rryyddeerr;158303 said:
dont buy the adults from the place in cali. imagine being captured, bagged and placed in a box of complete darkness for 24 hours and being sloshed around by a ups driver. your experience of it wouldnt differ that much from what a cuttle would think about it. they're fragile lil guys and dont travel well. get some eggs and you'll be golden.

And that price in completely ridiculous. $150.00 for an adult is a joke. What i would do is get a tank and cycle it. Get it matured and be sure to have a LOT of biological filtration (liverock and sand) and have a cleaner crew of hermits and algae eating snails. Get a skimmer that is over sized for the tank also. These guys are messy eaters and put out a ton of waste. If you arent prepared for the waste you will have a huge mess on your hands when they become adults and you will be stuck battling algae and doing water changes constantly. It will really take all the fun out of it if you arent prepared and the cuttles will suffer for it. If i get my females to start producing viable eggs I will be happy to ship some out to you if you cover the cost of shipping. Take your time! You wont regret it. I know how excited you are to get yourself a cuttle tank running. I was right there a few months ago. Research and read those articles over a few times. Like I said before, they are step by step instructions to making a sound setup and if done right you will be producing young on your own.

If you have any specific questions along the way, thow em out! Unfortunately asking vague or questions will only get you directed right back to the articles. :smile:

Yea that'd be awesome! :biggrin2:
So if I have the clean up crew running around with the cuttlefish (when i have them) they're not going to eat them are they? haha. I don't think they would, but I'm not really sure.

Oh okay sweeet :smile: Also do you know anywhere that have tanks that are a decent price? I mean the one I had was awesome but I dont even have one now, lol. And the ones I've found are SO expensive, ugh.

Honestly I found petco or petsmart to have some really stupidly low sale prices at times...even though I think they are the dirtbags of the pet industry. You can also try craigslist and get one from a private seller. I picked up a 55 for 50 bucks off craigs.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back