• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New here from across the pond! Looking for Bimac or common

Bareocto

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi All

I’m Ross, animal lover and marine lover.

I’ve been keeping marine fish for years and have 3 beautiful tanks keeping an array of special species of marine fish. I’m lucky enough to have 2 large tanks (800ltr) and take great care of my animals.

I’ve had another large tank built especially to house an octopus & after doing a lot of research I’m excited about getting one.

Problem is in the UK it’s proving VERY difficult for me to find a common or Bimac.

I wondered if anyone would be able to help?

Best wishes

Ross

Hi Ross, and welcome to the site!
It’s very difficult to find a bimac in this country, and seems to be even more difficult overseas. You might have more luck with the common octopus.

Nancy

If you live near the coast, and octopus live in the tide pools, and it's not illegal to catch them, then maybe you can do what I did:
Consult a tide table and learn what time of year your area gets very low tides during daylight hours. Learn where there are exposed rocks at low tide in a place that is not protected by law from collecting octopus (fishermen traditionally catch them for bait here in Southern California, so it's legal in most places). Then learn how to find and catch an octopus. I learned by finding online, or in person, a local kid who loved to catch octopus and was willing to teach me his moves (at low tide, flip over slightly submerged rocks, looking for either an ink cloud, or an octopus trying to be invisible). If you're in the right place (tidepools) at the right time (very low tide) you'll probalby see a kid who's spent hundreds of hours learning what does and does not work, and mayube they'll show you. That's what worked for me.

If you live near the coast, and octopus live in the tide pools, and it's not illegal to catch them, then maybe you can do what I did:
Consult a tide table and learn what time of year your area gets very low tides during daylight hours. Learn where there are exposed rocks at low tide in a place that is not protected by law from collecting octopus (fishermen traditionally catch them for bait here in Southern California, so it's legal in most places). Then learn how to find and catch an octopus. I learned by finding online, or in person, a local kid who loved to catch octopus and was willing to teach me his moves (at low tide, flip over slightly submerged rocks, looking for either an ink cloud, or an octopus trying to be invisible). If you're in the right place (tidepools) at the right time (very low tide) you'll probalby see a kid who's spent hundreds of hours learning what does and does not work, and mayube they'll show you. That's what worked for me.
Thanks Joe! Much appreciated

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back