New here but diggin' it, ID help

Guero

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hey guys and girls, what's up?? I'm new here but enjoying it a lot. Lots of great info and help so far, thanks. I've had a lot of tanks before but never SW. I spend a lot of time here in San Diego in and around the water fishing, so this will come real natural for me I hope. My last was a 15" Female Large Mouth Bass in a 150 gal. tank

Anyways, I always wanted to get an Octy tank going, so I made it happen. Had the tank run for a month+ before I put any livestock in it. No issues with the tank at all so far. Finally got an Octy to put in it and 2 months and no problems at all. I built a cave/fort for him ahead of time and he took right to it, even remodeled a bit. He started eating the next day and hasn't stopped. I'm 3 blocks from the Pacific so I get fresh live hermits and snails to put in the tank. They do a great good cleaning until he reaches out and grabs one. I have put 2 starfish in it with him with no issues so far. I would really like to put in a little coral, I really like the Rasta Hat's. I've been reading here a lot about others folks experience's, so hopefully I'll land on something.

Anyways, here's some pics of Fenway(Yeah, I'm a Sox fan) and his home. (Pics are from an iPhone, sorry.) So if you know what he is, cool, not that it really matters, I'm just glad he's here and being himself. He came from across the border in Mexico, cool water, don't have my tank chilled yet, hope I wont have to. I live on the coast and it always nice here. My old LMB tank always was around 68 degs. in the summer.

Thanks folks......

:welcome: to you and Fenway!

I can't see enough in the pics, but from the origin and personality I'm guessing one of the bimac species. I don't think that rubescens ranges all the way down to Mexico, but if it does, that could be a possibility as well.

Upvote 0
Guero;122721 said:
Thanks Monty
here's another, I'll try to take one with the camera next time he's out and about

Does Fenway have 2 blue false eyespots near where his arms attach?

The "skunk stripe" look he's showing there seems more common in some of the tropical species...

Upvote 0
Welcome to both you and Fenway. I'm adding him to the List of Our Octopuses at the top of the Journals and Photos forum.

Fenway is a very lucky octopus to have such a supply of live food!

Did you catch him yourself along the Mexican coast and then bring him to San Diego?

You can try some soft corals that don't need a whole light of light - nothing stinging. When he gets bigger, he might run over them, so don't use anything you couldn't afford to lose. Tuck them into safe places, too. Starfish are OK as long as they are small.

Check out the Bimac Care Sheet under Articles and see whether Fenway looks like this. Doesn't sound like you'll have to use a chiller.

Nancy

Upvote 0
so all the cool chicks in Texas have octopus'? Right on , thanks for the kind words. I love Dallas and FW. I was just there a month ago on the way to Louisiana. Had I known I would have brought fresh food for yours :wink:

Upvote 0
Guero;122763 said:
so all the cool chicks in Texas have octopus'? Right on , thanks for the kind words. I love Dallas and FW. I was just there a month ago on the way to Louisiana. Had I known I would have brought fresh food for yours :wink:

I think some have cuttlefish and squids, particularly at the NRCC. At least one cool chick has nautiluses, but she's in New York.

Upvote 0
Animal Mother;122781 said:
*not a chick*
:roflmao:

grenade.gif
AM

Upvote 0
ok, here's some more pics. Fenway was acting like a maniac last night, all over the place in the tank, kinda cool. It's the most active he's been since I put him in his tank...anyways, enjoy

PS. I have a movie too, I'll try to figure out how to post up too

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back