New guy, tired of being labled a lurker.

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
First off, I would like to say that you are all great for the posting of your opions, facts, findings, and general knowledge about life.

I am a green horn about cephs (it should be noted that I have kept aquaria for about 15 years), but I have been gathering all the info. I can, before embarking on the ceph quest. I would greatly appriciate any insight into the ceph hobby.

Now... as for my aquarium, I have an 180gal. reg. with 200lbs l/s. A 55 gal. sump/refugium (sp?) that contains 40lbs. l/s. and plenty of lighting, maybe too much for a ceph. And about 50lbs. base rock for the little guy.

Thanks, in advance for any information that you might provide, and for reading my post!
:cyclops:

Welcome! There, now doesn't it feel better to be a Larval Mass? :biggrin2:

You've come to the right place! There are some very knowledgeable people who visit this site (...steps aside... )

Be sure to check out the CephCare forums (CephCare Q&A, Tank Setup & Maintenance, etc.)... and register your tank in the OCTO Database as well!

...thinking of opening up an "Introduce Yourself" forum...

Good call on the new index item, Tony!
Welcome to Tonmo, Castor...lots of info here! You said that you have a fair amount of experience in keeping tanks...you should have no problem with a ceph...the tank you describe is certainly sufficient, the only problem might be what you already mentioned...the light levels. What are you using for illumination?
Greg

I currently have 4, 10K 96w pc, and 4 "actinic 03" 96w pc. I'm going to be building the rock structure sometime this week, time permitting, and make a nice cozy home for "Harvey".

You are going to fit a 6 foot invisible rabbit into that tank??? :smile: That is a lot of light for a ceph tank...you might want to bump that down a bit, unless you have a LOT of cover...are you going to be raising soft corals,etc. in it?

you might be a little limited in the types of corals you can keep with cephs...no stingers, etc...that and my octos always enjoyed moving stuff around the tank, just so you are aware!
Cuttles might be a little easier to keep with the corals, even though they like to dig too!
Greg

I have also considered a cuttle, but I understand that they are a LOT more difficult to maintain healthy in the home. I am certainly willing to do what ever it takes to keep one in pristine health. As a matter of fact, my original intent was to keep a cuttle, until I began to read available literatre on their care. Any suggestions?

Dr Woods has a fairly good general overview...I tried to paste the #$%^& address into the screen, but can't seem to get it right! My fault, not the PC's...oh well. Do an IWON or Yahoo search for cuttlefish in captivity, and look for the "cephalopod page". That will at least give you an idea of what you are in for...personally, I think they are just as easy to keep...but that might be my danish luck! Colin has a lot of experience with these critters...you might want to ask him...
Good luck!
Greg

Hello Castor!

Two cent trivia: Castor canadensis is the scientific name of the North American beaver. Very cool animal, even though Steve tends to think of such beings as "vertebrate filth". :lol:

Welcome to TONMO, where the past, present, and future is cephalopods...

Sushi and Sake,

John

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back