New Giant Squid documentary

Ok, I forked out the $2 for the iTunes WildBoyz thing. It makes Steve out to be a klutzy mad scientist who works out of his garage... although I'm not sure that's technically inaccurate, it doesn't seem to be too respectful... And the "Boyz" are pretty lame to not help out as the slippery squids are falling off the table.

Although I imagine there are ways to un-DRM it to put it online somehow, I'm pretty much too apathetic.

Anyway, my review: I guess I got $2 of amusement out of it, but I'd feel ripped off if I paid $3.

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH MY CABLE IS SHUT OFF FOR THE SUMMER!!!!!:bonk: :evil: :mad: :yelling: :yuck: :thumbsdo:

:archi: photos have eluded me once again!

bobwonderbuns said:
Now if I can only find someone to tape it for me...

Or even better, digitally capture it and illegally redistribute it with BitTorrent or something. I'd do it, but despite being an IT professional at a "cutting edge" research institution, I'm way back in the stoneage with my own equipment. I'm afraid the best I can do with my own stuff is a VHS tape.

PurpleTentacle said:
Or even better, digitally capture it and illegally redistribute it with BitTorrent or something. I'd do it, but despite being an IT professional at a "cutting edge" research institution, I'm way back in the stoneage with my own equipment. I'm afraid the best I can do with my own stuff is a VHS tape.
I'll take care of it. Tivo to the rescue.

Tsk tsk!
Programming standards are influenced by ratings; unless people watch and/or purchase a show how is Discovery to know whether a squid documentary is wanted?

yeah, if we could subscribe to discovery directly for a reasonable fee, I'd be all for it. But while we are paying $80/month to whatever cable company happens to have right of way in our neighborhoods for the discovery channel plus 79 channels of digital cow excrement, and we get charged the "because we can" fees on top of that, I have no problem with a little piracy.

What is really needed is a complete restructuring of the way media is distributed. I'm thinking the networks need to offer podcasts on a subscription or PPV basis, and legislation similar to the telecommunications act needs to be applied to cable provider networks. The cable companies really need to die, and financially suffer while they're at it. I'm talking to you Cox Communications!

Originally posted by PurpleTentacle

Bless you sir!! After all, it's the thought that counts!

Actually I did talk my friend into taping it for me. I'd love to see it first hand, but at what they are charging per month for satellite/dish/cable these days, I just don't watch enough TV to justify that expense. Funny thing too, the squid shows are the only thing I miss!!! :hmm:

Steve O'Shea said:
Tsk tsk!
Programming standards are influenced by ratings; unless people watch and/or purchase a show how is Discovery to know whether a squid documentary is wanted?
I know that Tivo sells information on what their consumers are recording and rating shows to the networks. I'm even participating in a Neilson Rating system through my Tivo; they know what I'm watching!

Fini said:
I know that Tivo sells information on what their consumers are recording and rating shows to the networks. I'm even participating in a Neilson Rating system through my Tivo; they know what I'm watching!

I wonder if they get informed whether you watch the recorded program or not, and how many times... like, can you bias the ratings in favor of Steve's show by recording it all 3 times its on? Can you try to increase the ratings of "Gomer Pyle" or something by telling the tivo to record it every time it's on Nick at Night, even though you just delete it without playing it back? You could even have your computer watch them before deleting, so it thinks someone watched it...

That's an interesting question. I'm sure they log that data, whether it's used for something; I would assume yes. I will make sure it get's the three-thumbs up though!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back