New Education Forum! (updated)

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Based on feedback I received at the podium at TONMOCON II (thank you cephalopodcast!), we've created a new forum dedicated to education.

2010 update: This forum has been expanded to cover all aspects of Education & Employment as it relates to making the world a better place for cephalopods.

Please contribute if you can! :boat:

This reminds me, a couple months ago in Biology class I was assigned to teach kids in the k-6th grade range about anything related to the study of life.

well, i chose marine biology of course since i held the most knowledge in that area and planned out a tidepool hands on experiment with a seperate cage to house a recently caught baby bimac.

after my lecture, I showed the kids to the hands on tidepool and octo exibit and found that the octopus stole the show. The kids were fascinated and were dying to learn more about this mysterious 8-legged creature that was shyly watching them from the corner of the aquarium.

I found it very inspiring that these third graders were so desperate to know more and thought it might be helpful for people to know how much kids are interested in learning about these strange animals.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this request. I am a high school teacher. I have a bit of experience with cold water marine tanks. I am on Monterey Bay in California. Recently I decided it is time to build an octopus habitat in my classroom. A generous soul donated a 75 gal acrylic tank with several powerheads, an air pump, a fluval filter. I am looking for pictures of tank setups. My plan now is to have an overflow from the 75 gal into a sump tank for gravel filtration, a home made protein skimmer, an in line chiller. I am just about the most visual person ever and descriptions in articles do not communicate enough to me. Any pictures of your tank set up out there? Any on this site already? (I looked but did not find any yet)
thanks in advance
gmcb

gmcbride,
You may want to try (and post on) Tank Talk. Look for the paper clips (showing attachments in the thread) for photos and the resulting comments on the set-ups.

gmcbride;101664 said:
Not sure if this is the right place to post this request. I am a high school teacher. I have a bit of experience with cold water marine tanks. I am on Monterey Bay in California. Recently I decided it is time to build an octopus habitat in my classroom. A generous soul donated a 75 gal acrylic tank with several powerheads, an air pump, a fluval filter. I am looking for pictures of tank setups. My plan now is to have an overflow from the 75 gal into a sump tank for gravel filtration, a home made protein skimmer, an in line chiller. I am just about the most visual person ever and descriptions in articles do not communicate enough to me. Any pictures of your tank set up out there? Any on this site already? (I looked but did not find any yet)
thanks in advance
gmcb

Probably the best place for this is the "Tank Talk" forum, under the ceph care section if you click on the forums link on the top of the page (or from here: TONMO Cephalopod Community

The tank owner's database has some info, but no pictures, too: http://www.tonmo.com/forums/octo_main.php

People have posted their octoproofing and a lot of other details, usually in "Tank Talk" although occasionally "Journals and Photos." I can't find any in a quick glance; I don't think there have been any good pics of octoproofing for the past few months, but I seem to recall there have been some in the past year; you might want to try the forum search or wait to see if others chime in. Maybe asking more specifically over in tank talk would help, too... a lot of tank owners love to talk about their tanks, so I'd expect you can find out quite a bit. Of course, the ceph care articles (under the articles button at the top of the page) have some good information as well.

oh, and :welcome: to TONMO!

It struck me that this forum shouldn't be limited to just K-12, and instead should also house discussions associated with college / university, post-grad studies, etc., so I renamed this forum to simply "Education".

:grad:

Primary focus is on cephalopods, and since essentially all marine studies covers this in its coursework (or is at least closely related), anything in this realm is on-topic.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back