New Discovery Channel page for Dr. O'Shea

Thanks for the welcome.

:notworth: I will precise that, for my part, I'm pretty sure I'm the first French member living in South Africa, as it is exactly what I am. Sorry for not being a TRUE South African, but, on the other hand, maybe my 'mixture' makes me even more 'exotic'?
Coming back to "Beast", I guess we can sum up that the main reason why good Doctor Talley's trick didn't work as well as expected was because the critter was 100-feet long and 12-tons heavy, if I remember well!

TaningiaDanae said:
.... and hopefully Steve-O's "Cephrodisiac" will only attract the non-clawed variety.

LOL; good name for it; mind if I borrow that sometime? No, I was unaware that Benchley had used a 'cephrodisiac' to lure the beast in .... the 'movie' was so bad I think I wept or slept most of the way through it, and the book wasn't that much better (although it was better).

Re: New glasses?

krin said:
Steve, do you have new glasses? The ones in the photo look like they fit quite well...
KRin

.... hmmmmm, what are you trying to say? I prefer my old-style big glasses, but everyone else hates them. I have three sets of kind-of usable glasses, as in the prescription is similar, and several that I can no longer use (and one set I refuse to use - the bifocals); the ones I wear on any particular day are the ones I can find in the morning; the same applies for my clothes and shoes.

That's an old photo they've chosen to put online, although the hair is getting longer again and I am sprouting a new moustache (it's at that stage when it is unwise to eat jelly/cream donuts). There seem to be a few grey hairs about the place too, along with some rather strange super-long eyebrow hairs. Not quite sure what's happening .... maybe it's nearing full moon.

"Beast" & 'cephrodisiac'

To say the 'movie' (I like the inverted commas!) was bad really is an understatement... The book was very far better - which is not surprising as being some kind of "Jaws" revisited : a well tried formula - as long of course as we were not looking for scientific accuracy about Architeuthis. But Benchley confessed he used the fact so few is known (and even less twelve years ago) about it that he considered he could quite freely imagine a lot. And some ideas were quite good... as, for example, 'Cephrodisiac'!

Steve O'Shea said:
TaningiaDanae said:
.... and hopefully Steve-O's "Cephrodisiac" will only attract the non-clawed variety.

LOL; good name for it; mind if I borrow that sometime?

As a matter of fact, that was my intention. (If you didn't pick up on it the first time, I would've sneaked it into a couple more posts until you did 8) )

I always enjoy introducing new phrases into the language (at least, the language of my immediate acquaintances), voluntarily or involuntarily. My biggest "involuntary triumph" was years ago when I wrote an e-mail to Richard Ellis describing the ending of BEAST (the novel) as "Physeter ex machina". Then, much later, while reading THE SEARCH FOR THE GIANT SQUID, I was surprised to see my expression paraphrased by Ellis, in the same context, as "deus ex Physeter" (THE SEARCH FOR THE GIANT SQUID, Lyons Press hardcover, 1998, p. 194).

(Richard E., if you're reading this: I didn't mind -- in fact, it was rather flattering! :smile:)

BTW, a few years ago there was a fragrance called PHEROMONE in men's and women's versions (it may still be around), which claimed to be laced with -- you guessed it -- pheromones that would make the wearer irresistible to the opposite sex (or same sex, depending on which kind they were using). Frankly I think it was a lot of hooey because as far as I know humans no longer respond to pheromonal cues.

However, I see potential here for a great marketing ploy to earn money for TONMO and for your expedition: Pheromones can be harvested from beached Ceph carcasses after dissection and study, and used as the base for a human cologne. It can come in two versions: "Mantle of Love" for women, and "Hectocotylus" for men. We can even use :tentacle: as our logo!

If we get the products released in time for Valentine's Day, we can tie-in the advertising campaign with our "TONMO's Hunks of Teuthology" calendar, and its female equivalent, a life-size cardboard stand-up photo of Uxia the Priestess from DAGON -- personally autographed by Macarena Gomez, of course. The profits from this venture -- fragrances, calendar, and "Uxia" figure -- should net enough funds to buy dental floss and/or nail files for 1 out of every 100 people on TONMO and the O'Shea expedition. (Winners to be determined by random drawing.)

Am I clever, or what?
:bonk:

TaningiaDanae said:
should net enough funds to buy dental floss and/or nail files for 1 out of every 100 people on TONMO and the O'Shea expedition. (Winners to be determined by random drawing.)

you will take care of supporters and staff first right? :sly:

It will be interesting to see whether there is any noticeable increase in the rate of membership as a result of this link. When do membership spikes usually happen? After big ceph or psuedo-ceph news items, like the chile blob, I bet. That was what led me here. :periscop:

You are correct! The Clilean Blob was a good time, but nothing beats the April 4, 2003 story of the Colossal Squid, where we had 73 visitors online at one time. I think we had as many members join that day as we usually have join in one month.

The gruesome twosome (aka Steve & Kat) have a few aces up their sleeve yet ....

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back