• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New cuttles on the way, any advice

I order from livebrineshrimp.com every 2 weeks. So far its the cheapest I can find and Ive had no problems with them yet.

Congrats on the babies. They do seem really small at first, but they will grow fast.

To save you money, you can feed them pods for a few months although they would eat those shrimps even as newborns. Feeding newborns marine shrimps will drastically increase the growth rate..

Any one know any sources for cuttlefish preferably in FL-NP

Any body know where i can find any eggs or young cuttles for sale, any help would greatly apprecited.

Well down to 3 alive and a couple eggs yet to hatch. I was up to 7, had some cannibalism in the breeder net, down to 5. Then 2 died of unknown reasons. Not sure what happened. The 3 remaining seem to be doing well. I add more pods every day. Some live, some escape and some get eaten. I finally saw one of them munch a pod today. i really think the primary problem was that they arrived very cold from shipping. The seller did not add any heat packs and we had some really cold weather. Hoping the remaining 3 will make it ok. At least they are eating even if it is each other :frown: I have some mysid coming in the morning. I hope I have cuttles left to eat it! The three remaining do seem to have grown though, so that at least gives me some hope. i am in between seperating out the remaining 3 or just leaving them together.

Oh as a side note, they have not even touched the small grass shrimp that I placed in the net with them. They seem freaked out by them more than anything. I placed several in with them yesterday and they got really freaked out and tried to escape the net and kept banging around the net so I removed the shrimp. One got so freaked out when one of the shrimp came near him that he inked and jetted away.

I guess I will get another net breeder. The guppy breeder container seemed kinda dangerous. The cuttles I put in there when I seperated them out could ALMOST get through the grating. And of course any pods I put in there that did not settle in to the chaeto went through the cracks.

yea i had the same canibilistic proublem with mine, i am also wondering if i could just release them into the tank? i know with my last cuttle i waited until he was 1.5" before releasing him, but mine are now about 3/8 of an inch and i am wondering if i could release them at around 5/8ths, i had the same thing happen with the grass shrimp

Cae home with a net breeder and the myid shrimp had arrived. unfortnately the serial cuttle had struck again. Down to 2. I don't think the other egg are going to hatch. 8 is not too bad though out of 11 eggs, considering they got cooled down in shipping. Next time I believe I will buy multiple net breeders and put one to a breeder I guess and have mysids waiting. They really seem to go for those compared to the pods.

well it appears as though the killer ate another one then died himself. I found one half consumed and him dead. I have 3 more eggs that have not hatched. I don't have much hope for them. I guess I will stick to my corals and regular fish for a while if they don't hatch. Not sure what the hell happened. All water parameters look great. Similar set up as my reef and fowlr tank. Just frustrating :/

IM sorry to hear about all that...

Its strange to hear about all the canablism.. I did have one cuttle guilty of multiple killings, but my first batch of eggs never showed this.In this batch I had 10-15 in one breeder net!

yea i have six left, and well fed, but i did have canabalism at first. ohh paradox, how big were your babies when you let them into the main tank, b/c the last cuttle i had i waited until it was about 1.5" and i realy hope i dont have to wiat this long for these guys.

Well was about to give them to the big toilet in the sky when I noticed that my cannable is still alive! He is in a stupor, but alive it seems. I do not really count on him living, but he is breathing.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back