• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New cuttles on the way, any advice

Rushi

Cuttlefish
Registered
Well, having read all the articles, and any other information I could find I finally decided to purchases some cuttles. I have ordered some eggs from a company and they shuld arrive on thursday or Friday. I would like any type of advice from some of you guys with experience with them. The "brood" tank that I am placing them in is a 29 gallon with a bak pak and a bio wheel with the wheel removed and just carbon and purigen in it. It has a couple small rocks and a 1 inch sand bed. I also plan to put some chaeto from my reef tank in there as it seems to always contain tons of pods, etc. I figured it might also give the little guys a place to hide as well until they get to know us.

The cuddles I ordered are sepia bandensis. After speaking to the shop owner he has had a great deal of sucess shipping them and said the hatch rate is almost 100%. I have 3 other tanks that are up and running that should be sources of pods, but I plan to get some enriched brine as well. I jut don't think my reef tank would be a suitable home due to the fish and some rather nasty corals (hammer, frogspawn, etc). I will probably end up buying a 5th tank (125 or 120 maybe) to house the as they get older and need to be seperated.

So now I am open for your comments and suggestions. I hope to raise the little guy and possibly (with a little luck) breed them.

Thanks in advance

-Mike

PS please pardon my spelling errors, my keyboard tends to have keys that do not function right sometimes, lol.

Congrats!
Yes, definetly use a breeder net for the first couple months and do watch out for cannablism. Keep them well fed and not to crowded and cover all intakes on any pumps.

Guess after reading the canibalism thread I will grab 2 et breaders or one of the guppy breeding pens. My wife and I watched some of the videos of the babbies posted on the stickycricket.com site last night. Pretty amazing stuff. Funny watchng them go after food in the large group, lol. Looks like there were a couple scuffles over the food too.

Has anyone seen the site livebrineshrimp.com? I placed an order tonight for 100 of their marine shrimp. Palaemonetes vulgaris or grass shrimp. They look to be a possible food source for the new cuttles! I am going to attempt to breed them if I can, but we will see. I was able to breed ghost shrimp once before with some sucess.

Well hopefully they are on their way...having some issues with shipping the eggs. They went to the local fed-ex and were told that they do not do next day air to my location. I called fed-ex and they said that there was no reason in the world that I could not recieve next day air or even the next day air express! So hopefully they will get shipped out today!

Egg are here and 4 hatched in transit! Now to find a steady supply of baby food. I did not realize how TINY these guys were from the pictures and videos. I have pods in there for now, but my reef tank will be drained of pods in no time. Time to start making some phone calls.

I got 10 eggs on the assumption that some may not hatch. I am debating on turning my 180 into a cuttle tank. Right now it houes a young brown banded bamboo shark an mid sized eel and a small grouper. I would have to get rid of the grouper as he is very aggressive. How do you think the shark and eel would do? The shark is pretty laid back as is the eel. The eel never went after any of my smaller fish and the shark only seems interested in shrimp. The grouper would be a problem. He would have to go for sure as he is aggresive and will hit at other fish.

Rushi said:
I got 10 eggs on the assumption that some may not hatch. I am debating on turning my 180 into a cuttle tank. Right now it houes a young brown banded bamboo shark an mid sized eel and a small grouper. I would have to get rid of the grouper as he is very aggressive. How do you think the shark and eel would do? The shark is pretty laid back as is the eel. The eel never went after any of my smaller fish and the shark only seems interested in shrimp. The grouper would be a problem. He would have to go for sure as he is aggresive and will hit at other fish.

I had a friend who had a small shark and an octopus together, and the shark ate the octopus... don't know the species of either, but sounds like a bad idea...

Hm something to consider I guess. I hate to get rid of the shark though. Ya think the eel would be out as well? Neither of them ever bothered a damsel that I had in the tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back