New Cuttlefish Journal

TQN

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
We recently joined this site and wanted to document our experience of raising cuttles from eggs.
These are our first cuttles, although both of us have had years of saltwater/reefkeeping experience. Some of our recent/current projects include octopus, mantis shrimp, anglerfish, harlequin shrimp, and banded cat sharks. We also keep/breed many species of reptiles.

Today we received our first group of 4 cuttle eggs (thanks, Daniel!). When I unpacked them, I was disappointed to see that one had apparently deflated during shipment. Then I took a closer look and realized there was a hatchling cuttlefish cruising around! I did not expect to have a hatchling this soon. But it is super cool and seems to be doing well so far. After acclimating the cuttle and the eggs for several hours, they are now in a net breeder in our main reef tank.
We have both wanted to get cuttles for years, and we are super excited to have this chance to (hopefully) raise these little guys up to produce babies of their own.
More updates coming soon!
Kelly and TQ

Attachments

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the site!

We're glad you're going to document your cuttles in a journal. This is interesting for the rest of us to read and we can all learn from your experiences. Your photos are good,especially the one of the little cuttle beside the egg!

What species of octopuses have you kept? Any photos to post about them?

Good luck, and looking forward to your future posts.

Nancy

TQN

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Nancy!
I have had several octos, but the only one I have been able to conclusively identify is the current one, an aculeatus. She is very shy, so I don't have very many good shots of her. But when I get a chance, maybe I will start a thread just for her :)

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely. I do love that photo of the baby next to the egg.

What kind of anglers have you kept if you don't mind me getting a little off subject? I had an L. trisignatus that did great for almost a year and I transferred it to another tank and it died after swimming laps for a couple of hours. It was missing an eyeball and had a nasty sore on its lip when I got it and that healed up well so its death was a real bummer. The other 3 or 4 I've had didn't make it for more than a few weeks, even though they were feeding well. They are by far my favorite fish, especially A. pictus, but I haven't bought another and don't plan on it unless I can get some good solid advice on what I may have done wrong.

TQN

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words for the picture. Our old camera bit the dust a few weeks ago, and I am still trying to figure out the new one ;)
Cool, another angler fan! In the past I have kept A. hispidus, pictus, and striatus. I have one little guy now that I believe to be a nummifer. Anglers are very cool little beasts, for sure. So far, the one that lasted the longest was the hispidus. I had that one for over 2 years. The others have all been under a year. The newest one, I have only had for a few weeks. But it is feeding well, and doing great so far...

Paradox

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Reaction score
Great pictures! Im looking forward to see how yours turn out!

TQN

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again for the eggs, Daniel! I am glad I finally had a chance to get some.

So for a quick update, babies #2 and #3 hatched last night, within minutes of each other. I was siphoning a few 'pods out of the fuge to feed to #1, and suddenly a new cuttle zoomed in from out of nowhere. A few minutes later, there were suddenly three babies cruising around the net breeder.
#1 showed no interest yet in the 'pods, but I did get inked at:razz:
I think he is still just too young to be interested in food just yet. But I have live mysis coming in the morning, so I will try those and see if they make a difference. I plan to keep offering food daily just in case, and they have some 'pods in there in case they do get hungry...
Number 4 is bouncing around in his egg, so he should be out soon as well...can't wait :)

Here is a short video clip (please excuse the poor quality) of a baby zooming around and changing color...I can't believe how cool they are now that I finally have some of my own...

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elleyyyy

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards