• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New born cuttle not moving...HELP

Nate Peters

Cuttlefish
Registered
Ok so my cuttles arrived today and my bag had one hatched alread. so i acclimated them with cups of water for 3-5 minutes like 5 times .... i poured him into my breeder and he swam around a bit. he doesnt seem to be moving and hasnt moved since this morning...is he dead? are cuttles active when born or do they sleep like most animals??? Rapid response would be appreciated

How is he/she today? Is the yolk sac still attached? It would look like a little bubble in front of the tentacles. They don't often move much right after they hatch. If he/she starts floating, then it is probably dead or near death.

cuttlegirl;185380 said:
How is he/she today? Is the yolk sac still attached? It would look like a little bubble in front of the tentacles. They don't often move much right after they hatch. If he/she starts floating, then it is probably dead or near death.

Well he still hasn't moved... Perhaps an inch since this afternoon . I examined him with a little light and he showed no response... He certainly isn't floating he's just sitting there. Perhaps resting from hatching during transit? He was much more active in the bag this morning.. Is he dead? Asleep? He's sitting in a bed of sand I put in his breeder... Hoping it's ok and will be active tomorrow

For the first week or so, Sepia bandensis don't move all that much during the day if you shine a light on them. I wouldn't worry too much.

Well I got up today to find that he had moved to the center of the egg clutch. Confirming what you've told me. So will he be more active in the next few days? PS thanks for your help Merry Christmas

ok, my second egg has hatched today and he's doing the same, although the first hatchling still seems very sedentary and hasnt eaten to my knowledge, He had arrived alive friday, so im hoping he starts to eat soon

ok, i read that they are this way often when they sleep, are baby cuttlefish nocturnal? they seem to move overnight and never during the day, i have been feeding them tigger pods (a copepod) and im unsure if they are even eating so i orderd some mysis, so im hoping they can hold out until wensday. sorry for all the questions, new to ceph keeping and ive been like mother hen about these eggs lol

If you can get a good close view of your cuttle you should be able to see it breathing. This is easier said than done in a large tank.

When food is offer ad libitum (all the time) which is common for raising hatchlings, it is often very difficult to observe the animals feeding and thus know if they are eating or not. This is a "normal" problem at this stage. You can use smaller individual tanks (there is an article on what I used for octopuses on The Cephalopod Page). Even then, observing feeding is difficult and rare but counting food items and there potential decrease as they are consumed becomes possible.

Sometimes hobbyists continue to provide food all the time for older cephalopods. . . they often rarely see their animals. For hatchling cephalopods, the goal is to keep them alive and growing so providing food all the time is recommended. For older cephalopods, most people would get more enjoyment out of seeing them and therefor benefit from moving away from ad libitum feeding to feeding at a somewhat scheduled time that associates the owner with feeding.

Cephalopods typically learn quickly when live crustaceans are involved!

ceph;185621 said:
If you can get a good close view of your cuttle you should be able to see it breathing. This is easier said than done in a large tank.

When food is offer ad libitum (all the time) which is common for raising hatchlings, it is often very difficult to observe the animals feeding and thus know if they are eating or not. This is a "normal" problem at this stage. You can use smaller individual tanks (there is an article on what I used for octopuses on The Cephalopod Page). Even then, observing feeding is difficult and rare but counting food items and there potential decrease as they are consumed becomes possible.

Sometimes hobbyists continue to provide food all the time for older cephalopods. . . they often rarely see their animals. For hatchling cephalopods, the goal is to keep them alive and growing so providing food all the time is recommended. For older cephalopods, most people would get more enjoyment out of seeing them and therefor benefit from moving away from ad libitum feeding to feeding at a somewhat scheduled time that associates the owner with feeding.

ok, i lost one yesterday so im worried their starving, im currently trying black worms (my mysis doesnt arrive for a few days, btw my PH is currently 7.6 , a bit on the low side but could this be the cause of death? are young cuttles nocturnal? they just seem more active at night,

ceph;185621 said:

ok, i lost one yesterday so im worried their starving, im currently trying black worms (my mysis doesnt arrive for a few days, btw my PH is currently 7.6 , a bit on the low side but could this be the cause of death? are young cuttles nocturnal? they just seem more active at night,

I would guess they need food. Never saw one actually grab and eat a tigger pod. pH of 7.6 should like a testing error because its kinda crazy low...how are you testing? Yes, the are often more active at night when very small.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back