• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New born cuttle not moving...HELP

Low pH is bad. As Thales said, different food is a must. Try feeding frozen mysis.
Did you get the cuttles from an LFS or an online dealer?

Well I got mysis a week ago and he has started to eat. I'm learning about his various behaviors so I'm slowly achieving and understanding of what's "normal" although he seems to have taken like a 3 day break from eating... Or perhaps I'm not seeing him eat. He seems to hunt at night/ explore and when morning comes round he walks on his tentacles to his nap spot in the shade under a magnet cleaner. (I never touch it any more lol) hoping ill catch him eat soon. I'd imagine since he's alone in there with the mysis he'll have no choice but to eat them. His siblings died off a week ago because ups was a week late with the shrimp but I should have orderd sooner I guess. Hoping to get a second clutch of eggs after I've corrected my mistakes (and my little guy gets a bit bigger ) Thanks again for all your info. It has saved me mountains of trouble

I bet he is eating, but not when you are looking. Later on, when he is bigger and older, you can train him to eat fresh or frozen food from a feeding stick or your hand.

After making the same mistake several times, I now always have my food ready and in house before my eggs hatch - I've had to many similar experiences to yours.

cuttlegirl;185979 said:
I was paranoid about my babies and always had food ready first.

Does he look any bigger? It is hard to see them eat when they are so tiny.

Yes he does. But I did make another mistake. Being that I maintain tanks at my high school for my bio teacher , I left my hydrometer there over the weekend. Then my filter died. So I replaced it and needed to add a gallon or 2 to the system. Long story short I eyeballed the salinity. Cephs are sensetive to water chem changes and he appears less active... (although alive) I did this yesterday and he's still alive. (I got the salt pretty close my fish adapted fine) so will he get used to it or have I done myself in?

Cephs are most sensitive to rapid changes in any parameter (salinity, pH, temperature), so if you have to alter something in the system, do it slowly. Do you have back-up water premade? I used to have a big plastic bin with 20-30 gallons of heated saltwater (I just had a heater dangling in the bin). So if there was ever an emergency, I was prepared to do a water change.
Was the new water the same temp. as the tank water?
Also, how big is your tank? The bigger the tank, the less impact new water has on the system.

cuttlegirl;186027 said:
Cephs are most sensitive to rapid changes in any parameter (salinity, pH, temperature), so if you have to alter something in the system, do it slowly. Do you have back-up water premade? I used to have a big plastic bin with 20-30 gallons of heated saltwater (I just had a heater dangling in the bin). So if there was ever an emergency, I was prepared to do a water change.
Was the new water the same temp. as the tank water?
Also, how big is your tank? The bigger the tank, the less impact new water has on the system.

well my system is a 55 gallon i only have my one cuttle so i may have to purchase another clutch and correct my mistakes :frown: but if he can survive this change then he will hopefully recover, the water temp was very close (old water : 78F) new water (76-77) and he made it through the night although he hasnt moved... i can still se his mantel moving but am unsure of salinity at this point. should i Try again with a new clutch? or wait it out?

If you only added 1-2 gallons, then the temperature and/or salinity should not have had too much of an impact on the system. Hang in there, as long as he/she is still alive, I would focus on the one that you have. When were you planning on getting the new clutch?

cuttlegirl;186039 said:
If you only added 1-2 gallons, then the temperature and/or salinity should not have had too much of an impact on the system. Hang in there, as long as he/she is still alive, I would focus on the one that you have. When were you planning on getting the new clutch?

well i was planning on ordering sometime this week , i just need to correct my mistakes. Ill have my hydrometer tomorrow so i can get more accurate readings, hopefully he'll adjust, I can tell its stressed him at least somewhat (he's not moving but i think he's breathing) and if hes not dead, like you said he'd be floating. Ill be sure to have food ready to offer them this time...

well yesterday he was doing ok but today he died. I could tell because his mantel was floating of his head, My PH was 7.6...cauld this have anything to do with my string of deaths? Im currently raising my P-H to 8.4 in preperation to try again. (Old water stats: Ph: 7.6, Salinity 1.023 PPT,) Nitrates and nitrites were In acceptable range, Ill be ordering food in advance as well this time and stil have a great many mysis left.

do you see any problems with water stats?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back