• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

new bimac troubles

Well, it sounded like you weren't able to pick up the rock and just shake it out, so I suggested the hook and line...the museum tank we were working on had massive, permanently adhered chunks of live rock, and it did work! (choice of last resort, though)
Hopefully, your clever little bimac seems to have taken care of the problem the natural way...yum yum!
Hope that all works out well!
Greg

i was just trying to avoid picking up the rocks and distubing him again. plus i'm really afraid of putting one back down wrong and trapping him inside.

anyhow, looks like i was wrong. the damsel was simply hiding deep inside a rock and he's out again today.

i'm really starting to worry if bob's actually alive in there or if he died 3 days ago up inside a rock never to be found.

it's a week tomorrow.

He is probably just shy...if he had passed on, three days of decomposition would be setting in...hmmm. Hope for the best!
Greg

well, i haven't seen it in the water chemistry so i'm hoping that means he's ok. unfortunately its hard to tell since i've had fish swim deep inside the live rock and die and because the water doesn't move inside the decomp is very slow and barely noticeable.

tonight, with still no sign of bob, i decided to take a small fresh scallop from the market and attach it to the front glass with a veggie clip on a suction cup. the lights are out in the room and over the tank. lets see if its there in the morning. i don't think the serpent starfish would be bold enough to go for it.

any bets on bob the bimac finally making an appearance? or at least swiping the scallop and running back in his hole?

tomorrow's 1 full week. i have to wonder if we get a few more weeks of winter if he doesn't come out soon. :smile: (or is that a different animal . . . )

What? You have the Groundhog bimac?

:smile:

After a week i'd be suspicious, but then when, after a week i have looked deeper in the tank i normally find it alive.

If there is enough room for a damsel to hide in the rock then im sure that is where it will be.

Id suggest trying your bait idea everynight or even through the day, the damsel will be a pest BTW.

Also as yours is so small... it will hide a lot anyway, babies do that and it can probably find enough to eat without leaving the rocks.

Last thing 8) the star will be bold enough! Wait and see LOL

C

well, i decided it was time to know for sure. it's official, bob is gone. i took every piece of rock out of the tank and examined every single hole crack and crevase (took forever). i never found him. i did get that damsel out of the tank though.

i have a funny feeling that serpent star was quite bold. he's looking rather thick in the middle and i didn't feed this week so i have a feeling he may have made a meal of bob. he couldn't have gotten out of the tank, its too well sealed.

any opinions?

yep, i'm going to try again next weekend (Bob II). I don't give up easily.

i have a credit from an old order at the place i bought bob for just enough to replace him. poor little bob. who knows i may still see him appear one day.

i'm pulling that star from the tank this time so we know Bob II will be safe. I'll add it back in a few months when he's nice and big and can take care of himself.

If the star did consume Bob it is quite likely that he was already dead?
Would also explain why Bob's demise did not become apparent in the form of falling water quality.

i agree. i have this wierd fear that bob may have been hurt when i initially moved the rocks. if he was under one of them he could have been pinned down. i doubth the star could catch him otherwise.

who knows, a few weeks from now i may look in the tank and find bob & bob II.

if he does reappear one day, would they fight with each other? can you keep two together?

Don't know if it would be easy to trap an octopus under stones - I would have thought they would simply ooze out unless you really clunked them, and that is not so easy under water.

if thats the case, then maybe he's still someplace in there.

can anybody tell me how they fare about 5-10 minutes out of water? if he's alive someplace, he was in one of those rocks and i didn't see him.

He should be able to survive 5-10 minutes out of water. So he could possibly still be in one of those rocks. Is there something for him to eat, just in case he's still there? (he can hunt small creatures like amphipods, if you have a lot of them).

Nancy

Make sure and test al lwater parameters before you get a new octo to make sure that it wasn't something there!

Check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SG, pH and copper levels

Cheers
C

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back