[Cuttlefish]: New Baby Cuttlefish

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by cephaloholic, Feb 14, 2009.

1. cephaloholic

cephaloholic O. vulgaris Registered

:baby: yesterday i walked into a new pet shop in my town to get food for my 15 birds and saw that there were two just hatched cuttlefish, i'm positive that it's sepia bandensis . i askede them what their plan for them was and they said they were going to feed it LIVE BRINE. also while i was there i saw them do a top off with TAP WATER which made me :mad:
    when i got home i talked to my parents about saving them and they were hesitant at first but i talked them into it. so today i went to go get them because i had a tank that had been cycled for a while, but when i got there i was told that one had passed so i snagged the live one and acclimated him/her for about 3 1/2 hrs. he/she has been in the tank for a few hours and seems to be doing well. i ordered a bunch of live mysids and amphipods for him and am praying he survives. he is swimming around the net breeder and is changing colors so rapidly it almost gives me a headache. Sometimes it's so hard to find him when he's camouflaged against the live rock. i 've never raised a cuttle from a baby so i need some pointers. i'm trying to juggle highschool, my birds babies, my pseudochromis' larvae and now the cuttlefish. Wish me luck

Hope to have pictures soon if he makes it

2. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

How new born is your cuttle? Oya and congrats on your new cuttle:smile:

3. cephaloholic

doesnt matter anymore. he passed. i guess he was exposed to copper in the tap water and couldn't recover

4. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Could have been any number of things caused the death. You tried. Sorry it didn't work out.

5. cephaloholic

thanks AM. And to make things worse one of my birds that had a broken leg drowned in his water dish=(

6. cuttlechris

cuttlechris Wonderpus Registered

man i'm really sorry to hear about your loss.

7. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Bummer.

I used to rescue herps when I worked at the animal shelter. One of them apparently had a bad mite problem and all 3 of my ball pythons ended up with a crazy snake disease from it, had neurological side effects, made them twist their heads around backwards. Ended up drowning themselves trying to drink. Then my 8 foot boa got its face eaten off by a rat.

8. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:sorry for your losts

9. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Sorry about that - nice that you tried to rescue the cuttle.

Nancy

10. cephaloholic

thanks for the support you guys. AM i used to hacve a ball python too. arent they just beautiful with the most docile disposition.