• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

New (and squeeable!) Octo species found off Newfoundland coast

nanoteuthis

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
This still-unnamed species of cutiepus -- whose photo also turned up on the Daily Squee site -- was recently discovered by a Spanish/Canadian scientific team using an ROV off the Newfoundland coast:

Purple Octopus

(It really does look like a Pokemon.... "OCTOSQUEE, I CHOOSE YOU!" :heart:)

hallucigenia

O. bimaculoides
Supporter
That is absurdly cute. I wonder if it's full-grown? It's got that chibi look, but then again so do adult bobtail squid, so who knows.

nanoteuthis

Supporter
hallucigenia;160331 said:
That is absurdly cute. I wonder if it's full-grown? It's got that chibi look, but then again so do adult bobtail squid, so who knows.
I was wondering the same thing myself.... wouldn't it be a hoot if it actually grew into a mutant Haliphron atlanticus with a 50-foot armspan and a beak like a pterodactyl? :sagrin:

PS: "Chibi" reference WIN! (Would you happen to be an anime fan too?)

hallucigenia

O. bimaculoides
Supporter
THAT would be awesome. I suppose baby :gigas: are pretty cute too.

Not an anime fan exactly, but acquainted with the vocabulary from knowing so many of them!

nanoteuthis

Supporter
hallucigenia;160534 said:
THAT would be awesome. I suppose baby :gigas: are pretty cute too.
Come to think of it, baby anything is cute. Except maybe maggots and naked mole rats.

hallucigenia;160534 said:
Not an anime fan exactly, but acquainted with the vocabulary from knowing so many of them!
And now you know one more.... :grin:

Level_Head

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
TaningiaDanae;160270 said:
(It really does look like a Pokemon.... "OCTOSQUEE, I CHOOSE YOU!" :heart:)
When I saw this creature, I immediately thought of you. I almost posted it here before deciding to check your recent posts.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
This thread is 5 years old, but I've tweeted it for the #cuteoff campaign :smile:

Members online