New Aculeatus(?) Journal - Octopus Prime!

What an adorable new "child" you have. I can totally understand how you feel like a parent. I'm new here and just beginning to learn so that one day I can get an octo. I'm going to be the same way... so proud of my new baby. S/he is beautiful and I absolutely love the "horns"... so adorable, so much personality.

damn! they swore up and down this was a bimac, but now that you mention it, the original picture that was provided to me looks WAY smaller than this guy. i thought it was just poot photo quality, but maybe the guys at the warehouse just threw whatever in the bag rather than what was specified. The packing invoice just says "tank bred octopus: west america." whereas the order said "Bimaculoides."

I'll be happy as long as it's not a full-grown dwarf that's about to die! here is the picture the tech support person sent me.

2232171206_68424916c3_o.jpg

it looks smaller than part of the index finger she threw in for reference, but of course it's hard to make out the detail and perspective. but she told me there were 2 tank raised bimacs there about the same size. Hmmmm. ill make a thread in ID requests. Can anyone tell me how to change the thread title?

yeah i don't think the one in the pic they sent you is the same octo... the one in the pic they sent you looks about the size i got rigby (tank raised bimac).... but he does look like an aculeatus to me... like Lucky... you can see more pics in the marketplace form under octo in need of rescueing....

yea looks like A. Aculeatus to me. No theyre not a dwarf species, so you dont have to worry about that. They are very interesting octopuses with great texture and color changes, so even if it is not a bimac like you wanted you should still feel very lucky that you got A. Aculeatus.:biggrin2:

yeah! i have been checking out the other threads on A.Aculeatus. Octopus Prime really fits the bill! it looks just like him/her in the pics from other threads, so I think i agree. A.Aculeatus it is! an occasionally bipedal (?), diurnal (?), very playful little octopus. I'm very happy with it :smile:

I am now just trying to discern the gender. i havent noticed whether there are any enlarged suckers but i will look out for them tomorrow. the front-most arms are definitely shorter than the rear and there seemed to be a ridge along the arm that stuck out to me a couple times. i'm not sure what else to look for, but am relatively content to call it a "he" like the famous robotic namesake

can anyone show me how to change the thread name (or change it for me)? earlier today i thought this guy was a bimac. I'd like to keep positing to this journal without decieving people! :smile:

I'm not sure if non-moderators are allowed to do it... I'll change "bimac" to "aculeatus(?)" for now, let me know if there's something you'd like better...

edit: done.

not tank raised

Mikewise;109564 said:
The packing invoice just says "tank bred octopus: west america." whereas the order said "Bimaculoides."

This is seriously false advertising to claim it's tank bred. I know people that would not consider buying a wild-caught animal, which is what they shipped (looks like you got a nice healthy aculeatus). Be sure to write them and blow the whistle.

Aculeatus is not a dwarf species but it is a small species... the mantle length is 6cm... Lucky is large and has a mantle about 3 inches..... if you look at lucky's pics then you can DEFINATELY see the large suckers you can look for... Lucky was very cool indeed... i now don't know after rigby if i want an aculeatus or birarus....

can aculeatus be tank raised... or are they a small egg species... if they can then Mikewise if your little kid is a girl and broods viable eggs and they survive.... I am first in line for one ... :smile: :wink: :P ... gezz that is a lot of if's.... lol

SandV;109603 said:
Aculeatus is not a dwarf species but it is a small species... the mantle length is 6cm... Lucky is large and has a mantle about 3 inches..... if you look at lucky's pics then you can DEFINATELY see the large suckers you can look for... Lucky was very cool indeed... i now don't know after rigby if i want an aculeatus or birarus....

can aculeatus be tank raised... or are they a small egg species... if they can then Mikewise if your little kid is a girl and broods viable eggs and they survive.... I am first in line for one ... :smile: :wink: :P ... gezz that is a lot of if's.... lol

Nope, small babies. I've posted a thread somewhere around here with a link to another thread with pics of the babies.

cool! thanks to everyone for the information. I havent found any conclusive answers on the diurnal/nocturnal question yet, but time will tell. It was active all day yesterday, and seemed to be active last night. today it has slept all day.

Still havent determined whether there are enlarged suckers. I will reference the pictures from the "needs rescuing" thread to try and figure it out next time OP is active!

All is going well with Octopus Prime. I am beginning to think it is female as i haven't observed any of the enlarged suckers that are apparent in Aculeatus pictures in other threads.S/he has been building a den in the caves on the left side of the tank. it is really fascinating to watch how s/he wedges rocks into place and sculpts the sand so it's just right around the entrance. OP has been eating mainly small pieces of thawed raw shrimp from the supermarket, but seems to be getting bored of it; s/he often will push it away if not interested. There are also hermit crabs and snails in the tank to snack on in the meantime, but in 5 days s/he has only eaten one of the 5 crabs that scavenge the rockwork. I have a lot of fiddler crabs coming from theaquaculturestore.com that should be arriving soon.

Here are some more photos shot today:

Observing from his/her favorite outpost, on top of the Den:
2242644898_4d71422f86.jpg

and a few shots of exploring the tank. Note lack of enlarged suckers (?)
2241850483_5c771b0ec1.jpg

2242638386_1aa952c19f.jpg

2242637008_0c42f34e57.jpg

nibbling on a piece of shrimp:
2241848931_e1a999a860.jpg

2241847171_372a48a339.jpg

The curly-q legs reminded me of people mentioning "corkscrew" behavior associated with malities, but i am imagining that looks somewhat different (?). OP has been fairly active, explorative, and accepting of food so I am not too concerned about senescence.

I also noticed that one of his/her front legs is significantly shorter than the corresponding other front leg, by an inch or so.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back