Here's a picture of Nereus' den,...and eye ball. lol

Attachments

• conv_296813.jpg
    conv_296813.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 108
  • conv_296814.jpg
    conv_296814.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 83
I took those pictures this morning just before going to work. Since then he has dug a more accessible hole where I was photographing him this morning. I'm going to try and coax and arm or two out of this hole with a shrimp soon. He seems to not mind when I have one side of the tank light and the other dimmed. He will always come out in the dimmed portion and hide in the shadows, but he still comes out while some light is on so that's good.

I put Nereus in my 250 gallon, and I put Bubbles(O. Hummelincki) inside my 55 gallon sump(http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?20028-My-first-O.-Hummelincki/page25). Ya this octopus continuously surprises me. I too was shocked that he crawled into the container and was scrambling to get out. Also with all of the large areas for her to den, she chose to dig a burrow. Also her coming out while the lights are still on, as well as touching me during acclimation. I wonder how he's going to surprise me next. I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. I tried to get a video of him excavating his den, but that proved too difficult. I tired to give him some shrimp tonight, but every time I shoved the shrimp into his burrow, he just ignored it.

I pushed another shrimp into his burrow and shut off the lights a little while ago. I just went back in to check on it, and Nereus is crawling around the back of the rocks and there's a dog pile of snails inside is burrow, so I don't think he ate it.

Well that was disappointing. I just tried a third time to feed Nereus but he will only play with the shrimp with a sort of nudging motion back and forth and eventually loose interest in a matter of seconds. I tried krill with the same results. Oh well. I guess when he's hungry he'll eat. He comes out immediately when the lights shut off. Right now he's exploring the tank.

Nereus was back in his burrow before lights up. I only saw him exploring for a little bit before I passed out last night. So far(unless he's eating snails) I think he's just eaten the one thawed piece of shrimp. Not too worrisome because I've only had him for about two days now. I will how ever try and locate some fiddlers for him sometime today.

*SIDE NOTE*
I spent a little over $200.00 the night that I purchased Nereus as well as telling my wife previously that I would wait until we moved to get some LED's for moon(night) lighting over the tank because she doesn't like ANY light in the bedroom at night. But in my defense I had rearranged the house so that when she came home this past Sunday she was so happy she said we don't have to move for a while. Maybe,...just maybe I'll be able to talk her into letting me get some LED's now. he he he......

I offered Nereus another piece of shrimp tonight. After much persuasion, he finally took it off of the stick and pulled it beneath him. After I placed the food back in the freezer I went back to check and sure enough it was sitting in the sand right next to him uneaten. :frown:

I rearranged the rock work to give him more of a 'jungle gym' environment instead of having them in a pile which Bubbles preferred to dip in and out like a reef.

Well the LFS that discontinued their fish department has apparently started it back up a little with a nice little variety of crustaceans. Six bucks a pop, but I grabbed a crawdad and some fiddler crab look-a-like. I'll take some pictures and post them after I get through loading some pictures and videos I took both last night and this morning.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back