Nereus my 2nd O. Briarues

I took this video this morning when Nereus was still out and about with the room lights on but not the tank lights.

This picture was from last night with the lights off.

Attachments

• conv_296833.jpg
    conv_296833.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
After turning off the left side lights, Nereus quickly scooped up the crawdad. The crab narrowly escaped with his life lol high tailing it off to the far right end of the tank where the lights are still on.

Here's $12.00 short lived lol. Literally. The crab is still kickin' it, but not for long. I turned the left side lights back on about five minutes after he captured the crawdad. He's still sitting in his den munching away. Hopefully this will spark his apatite for thawed shrimp so I don't go bankrupt feeding him.

Attachments

• conv_296834.jpg
    conv_296834.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
  • conv_296835.jpg
    conv_296835.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
Cerulean;162045 said:
Was that a fresh water crawdad?

lol yes. It was a a fresh water (crawdad/crawfish/crayfish/mudbug) pick your poison. Or as my wife calls them,...'crab daddies.' LMAO. I hassle her so much over that. I don't recommend them as feeder fish because I've heard some bad remarks on them as far as nutrition, but I just needed something to get Nereus to start eating for me and they seem to work wonders.

I'm not sure how much of the crawdad Nereus ate, but I found it in the sand beneath him covered in snails. The crab is no where to be found. I'm about to go wash my hands and pull the crawdad out to see how much she actually ate

Well he only nibbled a little bit between the tail and thorax. :frown: That was a complete wast of $6.00. Hopefully he eats the entire crab because I have no idea where it is.

Right now Nereus is out behind the rocks just chilling (both lights on). I checked and there is no grab beneath him, so it's either dead somewhere or hiding really well.

Although Nereus is eating, he seems to only want to accept the shrimp when the lights are either off or atleast dimmed. He does how ever come out while the lights are on watch me while I'm in the bedroom.

He didn't accept the shrimp that I offered him, so I turned off one of the lights to see if he comes out(well he is already partially out now, but I'm talking about 'out & about'). If not then I'll just turn off both lights and feed him later in the dark. I'm trying to feed him earlier and earlier to get his activity cycle to change to as diurnal as possible.

Nereus ate a little piece of shrimp last night. He's not eating what I feel should be the right amount for an animal his size, but his activity is the same(REALLY active at night), and he is atleast eating. I figure being caught at an older age light this when he's spent his entire life eating live, he's still adjusting to a frozen diet.

Sorry for the short period of inactivity on my part. My computer was going through a little rut and I just managed to fix it.

Nereus is doing sooo much better. He eats at least 3 - 4 shrimp a day, usually a few during the day and one just before or after I turn off the lights. I still have to touch the shrimp to him, but he takes it willing and even plays with the feeding stick a little while. He spends half the day behind the rocks against the glass, and the other half in his burrow.(he comes and goes throughout the day) At night he spends most of his time just cruising around the glass.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back