• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Neptune - O. Vulgaris

Thales;171679 said:
A side note, I am not convinced about the theory that a tank dosed with copper in the past is dangerous to cephs. I have the feeling that that is really and idea that someone had that stuck, and havent been able to find an example where the idea was confirmed. If anyone has evidence that it is true, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Good point. I'm embarrassed that I was caught doing one of the things I complain about: spreading conjecture on the forums as if it were fact. The theory is that silicone "absorbs" the copper, and will leach it out later. I don't know enough chemistry to know if it's even possible for copper (or the compounds containing copper) to enter silicone, or if once inside, if it would leach out. I also don't know if the small amount of copper that could possibly make this trip would be enough to bother a ceph. I do know enough about human nature to know that we have a strong desire to understand the cause of things that hurt or threaten us, and that most of us will assign whatever cause sounds the best if we have no other explanation. I should have presented this as an unproven theory, not as a fact.

Until we have more evidence one way or the other, I think it's prudent to try to avoid tanks that may have been exposed to copper, just in case, but I'd sure like to get scientific basis for an opinion on this one, so I won't have to pass up good deals on used tanks with unknown histories (or so that I can pass them up without regret).

Joe - no worries! These kinds of things are hard to stamp out. I completely agree about avoiding previously coppered tanks, and the need for more testing. The real reason I brought it up (besides the idea that this kind of thinking is a hobby of mine) was because I see the idea getting credit for dying cephs and as you say, we really don't know. Love the discussion!

Ajemptage;171730 said:
Thank you to everyone for all the replies, Im happy to see if I ever need any advice or help (and I will ) you guys are here.
Well I checked on him this morning and he's moved to behind the rocks and looking a lot better, I guess he was just in shock?
Il get some pics up here later today and keep you guys updated.
Thanks again

Fantastic. Great information! Thanks!

:welcome: Neptune! WRT copper, a simple leaching experiment would solve this once and for all, I would say? LC-MS. anyone?

It's been a while, sorry about that, Neptune is doing great! He's grown already and is eating two fiddler crabs a day. I will be posting pics either today or tomorrow. Again thanks for all the help guys

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back