• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

nelp getting started...

malkizor

Hatchling
Registered
i would love to purchace a octopus but i need a little direction.
what to buy what i need and what kind of tank. can anyone give me some pointers?

There's a lot of help if you use the search feature up top there. I started off just reading and reading the stuff that was there. What tank you buy is probably going to be determined by wether you're going with a dwarf or not. My first ever tank (ten years ago, mind you) was a 29 gallon, and the species was whatever the LFS happened to get in. (I think it was O. bimaculoides, but I dont have any pictures so Ill probably never know) I didn't know what I was doing and I dont think this website existed then. 29 was waaaaaaay too small though.
Some people here have had a lot of success keeping mercs in 20ish gallon setups, but they seem to be quite reclusive and shy as a species. O vulgaris, the common octopus needs tanks around 150 gallons or so, the bigger the better it seems. I'm working on collecting the equipment for a ceph tank myself right now, but am limiting myself pricewise and trying to do a lot of it by scavenging second hand materials...I havent even decided octopus or cuttlefish yet and I'm probably going to be doing a lot more research. I probably wont have things up and running for 6 months to a year...
All that being said, from one noob to another, welcome:smile:

:welcome: Take a looks under the ARTICLES button at the top of the page; there are some equipment lists and care sheets that can give you the best overview. Nancy and Colin's book is also probably the best overview reference.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back