• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Need some help with mushrooms.

This one mushroom i have been watching for a while keeps growing longer and longer. Its at the point where it looks like it is going to rip off! What should i do? Is this common? Are they just trying to repopulate some where else? Here is a pic.

Attachments

• conv_303685.jpg
    conv_303685.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 91
  • conv_303686.jpg
    conv_303686.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 91
This is actually normal asexual reproduction for this type of sea anemone. In the wild these tend to stretch until broken off by water currents, to be transported to a new substrate. Fragments are able to regrow into new specimens. Wish I could do that :smile:

ob;141582 said:
This is actually normal asexual reproduction for this type of sea anemone. In the wild these tend to stretch until broken off by water currents, to be transported to a new substrate. Fragments are able to regrow into new specimens. Wish I could do that :smile:

I DON'T - we have enough over population as it is!!!:shock:

Now, if you could clone and then reabsorb the clone after it has completed its task ...

I know: be careful what you wish for...

I also agree that one OB is quite sufficient for this poor suffering island earth...

Yup, its fine! I have had several reef tanks for a few years now and it a normal natural thing. I have some large hairy mushrooms that split into four pieces looking like it was going to die. About a week later I had five smaller mushrooms and now they are huge!!! do you have any other coral in the tank?!

The Zoanthids will reproduce in a similar way, the just wont separate completely like the mushrooms. There maybe another mushroom where the old one tore off eventually but most likely it will just be part of the foot of the original. Good work with the loose one it will get comfortable and foot down after while.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back