• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Need help with important question!

I was just replacing a ballast on my Aquapod and in the process of removing the twenty tiny screws to get to it I believe one fell in the tank. I've searched the tank thoroughly and haven't been able to spot it. If I can't find it, does anyone know if it will poison the tank or cause problems? It's just a regular screw (not sure what type of metal they are made of).

milabfocker said:
I was just replacing a ballast on my Aquapod and in the process of removing the twenty tiny screws to get to it I believe one fell in the tank. I've searched the tank thoroughly and haven't been able to spot it. If I can't find it, does anyone know if it will poison the tank or cause problems? It's just a regular screw (not sure what type of metal they are made of).

If it's a ferromagnetic metal, you might be able to put a magnet near where you think it fell... particularly if you have one of those cleaning magnets that's plastic coated and pretty strong. Maybe test one of the other screws to see if it's attracted to the magnet first...

Just a thought...

If the screws are steel, you should be alright. If they were brass, find it. The copper will eventually poision the tank affecting mollusks and crustaceans. Most fish could tolerate the copper that will leach out, but the invertebrates will be impacted.

Roy

I would like to thank everyone for your responses. I found the screw using the magnet. Also, Cthulhu77 I'm sorry I didn't respond back to your reply. I ended up finding the screw last night before I got your reply and was out of town for the day. The screw was made of shiny metal; would this type have most likely poisoned the tank?

Ordinarily,I would have said "no", but since you found it with a magnet...it probably would not have done your tank any good. Send over a six pack to Monty!:cheers:

greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back