Need help with important question!

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by milabfocker, Jul 28, 2006.

1. milabfocker

milabfocker Pygmy Octopus Registered

I was just replacing a ballast on my Aquapod and in the process of removing the twenty tiny screws to get to it I believe one fell in the tank. I've searched the tank thoroughly and haven't been able to spot it. If I can't find it, does anyone know if it will poison the tank or cause problems? It's just a regular screw (not sure what type of metal they are made of).

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

If it's a ferromagnetic metal, you might be able to put a magnet near where you think it fell... particularly if you have one of those cleaning magnets that's plastic coated and pretty strong. Maybe test one of the other screws to see if it's attracted to the magnet first...

Just a thought...

3. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Were the screws shiny metal or black?

4. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

If the screws are steel, you should be alright. If they were brass, find it. The copper will eventually poision the tank affecting mollusks and crustaceans. Most fish could tolerate the copper that will leach out, but the invertebrates will be impacted.

Roy

5. milabfocker

milabfocker Pygmy Octopus Registered

I would like to thank everyone for your responses. I found the screw using the magnet. Also, Cthulhu77 I'm sorry I didn't respond back to your reply. I ended up finding the screw last night before I got your reply and was out of town for the day. The screw was made of shiny metal; would this type have most likely poisoned the tank?

6. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Ordinarily,I would have said "no", but since you found it with a magnet...it probably would not have done your tank any good. Send over a six pack to Monty!:cheers:

greg