• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

need help quick

my octo is acting strange he is stickin his arms in his mantle and they are coming out his blowhole then he pulls them out and it appears like he is gagging him self can someone tell me if this is normale he is my first octo and have only had him 2 weeks

This is behavior we have seen in the past. The reasons are unclear but the action is not harmful. It may be like scratching an itch or even a sign of parasites but we have not see any direct negatives occur when this is observed (Jean has said she thinks it looks like if feels good :wink:)

wow thats great it really freaked me out i thought maybe it sucked up a coppy pod and was tryin to get it out but im sure that sounds dumb im still learning so what a reileaf i was really worred but he seems fine now he also got his arm stuck in my korrila not sure if im sayin that right but sure u no what i mean but thank u on ur speedy response

I have a question about the Koralia. Do you know if Ohno put his arm through the front or through the side of the unit? If through the front, do you have the plastic cone that comes in the box attached? The Koralia's have been tenatively considered octo safe with caution but need to document any mishaps as they are still a relatively new item being used. I am assuming part of the arm was severed. Keep a close watch on it for infection. If you don't see the beginnings of a string like regrowth in a week or see any kind of swelling, you may want to consider soaking food in a little tetracycline.

ohnos arm wwent through the side i had to sit there and watch in horror as my little buddy was being injured but no it did not sever the arm just a small cut i will try to post a pic of ijury in my journal i will try the meds anyway for the cut but he seems unphased by it still getting really close to my koralia

I have seen my octos put an arm into their funnel or gills and pull out small pieces of algae or detritus. They also occasionally whip theirs around and then you'll notice little white circles floating around, they can shed their suckers. It's o.k. to freak out a bit when you're getting used to normal octopus behavior!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back