Need help identifing please

Screenshot_20160608-005842.png

Here's another pic he is running around with a piece of shrimp I gave him. I was told he lives the longest out of all the octopuses which sounds like the Giant pacific which not gonna lie has me a little worried about the size. But I also know local pet stores can usually be wrong in identifying. Any help would be appreciated so I make sure to set up the best habitat what ever the species. Thanks

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, there a number of "common" octopuses on the US Pacific coast. It is clearly not O.bimaculoides or O.bimaculatus but I am not well familiar with small O. rubescens (pretty sure it is NOT GPO which probably also discounts O. rubescens since they are hard to tell apart at this size). Both O. rubescens and Enteroctopus dofleini (GPO) are from the far north and require a cold tank (low 60's). If I had to guess (assuming it is actually from the US Pacific coast) I would suggest looking for images of O. digueti. It is a small octopus found on the West Coast in warm waters. Sadly, googling images of any octopus will produce numerous species without qualifying identification and is not much help but the link will take you to some of @Neogonodactylus ' well classified images in the TONMO media forum.

@Taollan ??

Upvote 0
I suspect the "dark spots" you are noticing are the gill hearts and won't help with id. Most cephalopods, octopus, cuttlefish and squid (but not nautilus) have 3 hearts, a centeral (systemic) heart that moves the blood around the body and two gill (brachial) hearts that pump oxygenated blood to the central heart.

(Image from http://nerdy-girls.org/2014/06/27/things-i-learned-from-cephalopod-week/)

OctopusHeartsDiagram.jpg

For sexing your new ward, have a look at this post.

Upvote 0
I suspect the "dark spots" you are noticing are the gill hearts and won't help with id. Most cephalopods, octopus, cuttlefish and squid (but not nautilus) have 3 hearts, a centeral (systemic) heart that moves the blood around the body and two gill (brachial) hearts that pump oxygenated blood to the central heart.

(Image from http://nerdy-girls.org/2014/06/27/things-i-learned-from-cephalopod-week/)

OctopusHeartsDiagram.jpg

For sexing your new ward, have a look at this post.
Thanks really cool I did not know that and thanks for the link. I'll have to keep an eye on his arms now to figure out.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back