• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Need Help: Female 6 month old cuttle won't eat

Kerrick

GPO
Registered
Hey guys,

My female hasnt eaten in going on 2 days. She trys and I can tell she is hungry but when I put in frozen or live food... She cannot hit it with her feeding tenticles. she allways misses.

I have heard and read that high magnesium levels can cause this. I have not tested mag but I don't do water changes often so This shouldnt be a big problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Ok, she finally took a frozen white shrimp. She bum rushed it while I was blowing it with a turkey baster. I threw about 8 ghost shrimp in there with her. She struck at all of them but she is shooting up and to the left with her feeding tenticles.

I don't know what to do. I adjusted the flow on my return and that seemed to make her more active. Not enough O2?

Nitrates 0
Ammonia, trites 0
8.3ph
1.025 salinity
phosphates... like 2.0 ppm

I am starting to wonder if I have a rock in the tank that was in a tank treated with Copper( or something... hell I don't know).

That was what I was thinking. But she sees things from a good distance. She doesn't bump into anything. Knows me and comes to the glass.

Its gotta be her eyesight because when she missed a shrimp and grabbed a polyp she had no trouble pulling herself to it with the feeding tenticles.

She also doesn't swim alot. She just crawls. Most of my females didnt swim alot once they got past 4 months.

Any ideas? I am going to start feeding her the much larger white shrimp. I may get her a peppermint shrimp every once in a while and see if she'll take that down....

The funny thing is she caught like 3 fish in the last three weeks... Those things are quick! I can't see how she can catch them and not the ghost/shore shrimp.

Well... She has started swimming around more. She strikes and hits larger things like half of a white shrimp but she cant seem to hold onto it. I will be watching her but I don't know how much I can do for her. I am going to start feeding her in the day cause she seems to have better luck then which leads me to think it is her eyesight.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back