• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Need help convincing hubby to get cuttle...

There is a 75 gallon glass used aquarium for sale in my area. It is predrilled for in/out flow. It comes with bioballs (I may not use these). Fluval 303, Aquaclear 802 powerhead and actinic lights. I can probably get it for $150 (its been for sale for two months and he was originally asking $300). No medicine ever used in tank... Seems like too good a deal to pass up.
How do I convince my husband to set it up for a S. bandensis? He seemed fine until I told him I needed a separate tank for the food... His comment "Why don't you get some nice, colorful fish that you don't have to think about - you can just throw some flakes in every once in a while?" How did you convince your significant other to go for a cuttle or octo?

Thanks,
Jennifer:
Wishing for cuttle:

cuttlegirl said:
There is a 75 gallon glass used aquarium for sale in my area. It is predrilled for in/out flow. It comes with bioballs (I may not use these). Fluval 303, Aquaclear 802 powerhead and actinic lights. I can probably get it for $150 (its been for sale for two months and he was originally asking $300). No medicine ever used in tank... Seems like too good a deal to pass up.
How do I convince my husband to set it up for a S. bandensis? He seemed fine until I told him I needed a separate tank for the food... His comment "Why don't you get some nice, colorful fish that you don't have to think about - you can just throw some flakes in every once in a while?" How did you convince your significant other to go for a cuttle or octo?

Thanks,
Jennifer:
Wishing for cuttle:

Ya...I really wish I could help but felt like responding cuz iv been in the same boat usually dealing with people who just can't understand cephalopods like we do:sad:

Try your best to convince him that their very rewarding after all the hard work and ya know...it means a lot to you because their lives are more precious and full of suprises than the usual fish people keep in their tanks. And of course, a deal like this is wonderful...and a perfect opportunity to take it.

By the way, what type of tank do you have in mind for the food? Are you going to use critter cages? They can work. Good luck though.

Have him watch Sir Righty's video...my wife, although she loves our fish and such, could really have cared less until she saw his talk on cuttles...sold her immediately !
Or it could have been the pics in the wetsuit.

cuttle with him :smile:

Sorry for the bad pun, but My wife was very dubious about getting a ceph because she didn't know what they were like. After our first Octo however, she was hooked (another bad marine pun :smile:). Does he know about how cool they are? If he is just not the sort to find beauty in their intelligence just show him a video of cuttles hunting and catching their prey. Most guys dig that and love what skilled predators they are. Offer to let him feed it, get him involved...

~Paul

cuttlegirl said:
How do I convince my husband to set it up for a S. bandensis?
Are you trying to manipulate the poor man? Hmmmmmm. I will not be party to any husband manipulation! We are the oppressed sex already!

Of course you could offer to clean the house for the rest of the year, cook every dinner and do the washing up, mow the lawns, attend to all the spouting problems that invariably arise when it's pouring down, fetch him his slippers, and promise to be especially nice to him ..... That might just go down a treat!

Are you trying to manipulate the poor man?

Who me?:biggrin2:

Ok, I already clean the house, cook, do the laundry, I don't mow the lawn (too big, 3 acres...), pots are already under the leaks, and he doesn't wear slippers. But, I think I will bake him some cookies... If that doesn't work I am going to get the kids to start begging for a cuttlefish, he can't resist them...

My gf was quite interested in my octopus "lectures". Cuttlefish I imagine would be easy to swing anyone round to liking. I had no idea what a cuttlefish was before I found this forum - other than the bones in bird cages.

Definately show Rightys videos - I would suggest the imperial cuttle march :biggrin2: , I've shown that to my friends and they were very impressed.
What's cooler (well to a sterotypical guy anyway) - a fish, or an animal that has ten apendages that devours said fish alive by biting it and injecting a venom called cephalotoxin?

Having an extra tank (for the food) need not be a big deal - an old plastic bin has been used by many here and seems to do the job.

Cuttlegirls Hubby said:
you can just throw some flakes in every once in a while
or you could throw in live animals and watch an intense "battle" to the death - while your at it chuck on the Imperial March and see how it goes.

Appeal to his hunter instincts - "Real men eat fish for breakfast". :lol:

Failing all the other suggestions........you could lose the hubby and get the cuttle!

OR

Are you near a public aquarium that displays them?

also you could show how educationally beneficial this animal would be for your children....imagine a mollusc that behaves like a reef fish, can communicate, requires the responsibility of husbandry (:oops: sorry no pun intended!) etc etc............failing that there is always the pathetic puppy look we females use on our significant others.

J

Hmmm, Sorseress - how long have you been vampyroteuthis? After the last post, somehow that seems at least metaphorically significant.
Oh, by the by, see you and Dad in AZ tomorrow night!

Thanks for all of the advice... Well, hubby said yes to the fish tank, but by this time, the one I wanted to buy for cheap was already sold... So, I'm going to keep searching for a 55 gallon used.
He is not your "typical" male, so he is not going to go for all that macho hunting stuff. Also, he doesn't fall for the puppy dog look, or the pit bull stuff. I just had to wait for the right time (he was feeling guilty because he had just returned from a recording session in Los Angeles and had to leave again) to ask for a fish tank.

Thanks again, stay tuned while I search for the perfect tank...

cuttlegirl said:
Thanks for all of the advice... Well, hubby said yes to the fish tank, but by this time, the one I wanted to buy for cheap was already sold... So, I'm going to keep searching for a 55 gallon used.
He is not your "typical" male, so he is not going to go for all that macho hunting stuff. Also, he doesn't fall for the puppy dog look, or the pit bull stuff. I just had to wait for the right time (he was feeling guilty because he had just returned from a recording session in Los Angeles and had to leave again) to ask for a fish tank.

Thanks again, stay tuned while I search for the perfect tank...

Sorry you missed out......I find the guilt trip a useful tool too!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back