• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Need advice moving cuttles

MAKOOKAM

Wonderpus
Registered
So, I'm moving my entire reef into a 55g tank and want to make this a stress less as possible for both the cuttles and myself. If they were just plain ol fish I would have no issues getting them out and re-situating them...but they arent just plain ol fish, as you know.

Have any of you moved cuttles? If yes, how did you do it? Please be as detailed as you want. :cuttle:

Treat them like plain old fish, but instead of catching them with a net, use a clear plastic cup or deli container. Easy peasy.

MAKOOKAM;151369 said:
just switching tanks.

god, i would hate to think about moving.

No kidding.

Anyway how close are the parameters? If they are real close I'd still do a short drip. Acclimate them for maybe 10-15minutes in a bucket and then just grab and drop em in. I raise my cuttlefish in an extension of my frag tank but when they turn to adults I move them to their own 90 gallon display.

The parameters will be super close. I am moving the entire reef (cuttles included) into the new tank. Unfortunately the new tank is going to go right where the old tank is. So, that means i have to do the entire breakdown and setup in one shot. Should be interesting.

When you said "moving" i thought you meant moving as in moving my house to a new location. :smile:

Yeah I thought you meant moving your house.

Switching tanks with similar parameters will be relatively easy. I'd say put the cuttles in a bucket with a couple of gallons, move everything else, then drip some of the water from the new tank into the bucket. Then just dump the bucket into the new tank. I assume when you mean entire reef you mean the water too.

Cuttlefish do have a tougher time acclimating then a regular fish but in a situation like this it should not be too big of an ordeal.

Mine would usually ink so I always used a turkey baster to suck out the ink . Their ink is really thick and easy to remove . So you might want to have one handy or a hose to use as a siphon . But even if they ink it is still easy peasy .

Much appreciated corpusse and flaherty. My biggest concern through all of this was (i know it sounds goofy) to not put any fear into them so that I dont take a step backward in my socialization with them. It seems like I just got them to the point where they are beginning to trust my actions and letting me feed them without much hesitation. I'd hate to start from square one with them by flipping them out capturing and moving. I guess I will just move with as much caution as possible.

I did move mine from a 29 gallon to a 55 gallon, emptying and moving the 55 from one room to the next. I put the cuttles in a clear cup to catch them and then a 5 gallon bucket with live rock while I did the moving - then drip acclimatized them to the 55 gallon - they did fine and hung out in the live rock during the move - I will try to dig up the thread later.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back