Neat Tank Top

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by ravenschild, Jul 5, 2006.

1. ravenschild

ravenschild Cuttlefish Registered

Hi, all. I've recently begun doing octopus research, and the wonderful Shane Anderson at the UC Santa Barbara marine biology labs has allowed me to use his tanks to house my organisms. I couldn't help but be impressed by the octo-escape-proof tank that he'd created, and he said I could post images of it for all to see. I put it up here and not in the "tank owner's database" because it's a flow-through tank using seawater, and so it's just got a water input, an overflow outlet, and an oxygen bubbler. All the stuff about specific density and ph and all that doesn't apply.

So here, if I did this correctly, is an example of a secure tank that doesn't use bricks!

Any questions, want more details, just ask.

Attached Files:

2. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

I wonder if they could use nylon bolts instead of metal. Rust might not matter in a flow-through system, but it probably does in a closed system...

3. aximbigfan

aximbigfan GPO Registered

sorry for my nub question, neverh ad an octo... how does it work? what prevents the little guy from escaping?

chris

4. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Yup...replace those metal bolts and wingnuts with nylon...much better. Same sort of tank design we used at the museum, easy to care for, easy to clean, easy to keep secure!
    Thanks for the pic, it will inspire many an octo keeper to get rid of duct tape and bricks...

greg

5. ravenschild

ravenschild Cuttlefish Registered

The tank works like this: the lid is held down by three swinging-able bars that are bolted to the tank on one end. At the other end they have a notch that fits around another bolt. The stationary ends of the bars are elevated a little so they will move over the lid. The lid has three slots to accomidate the front bolts, I think you can see those in the photos. So: when the bars are closed over the lid, there's no way the octo can force the lid off, and all you have to do is swing the bars to the side to get access to the lid and take it off, no unbolting needed.

The drain filter is closed off with a cork, and a wire has been passed through and bent at the ends so that the octo can't pull it off (that part was harder than it looks.)

I absolutely agree that rust would be a problem in a home tank, and it's fortunate that it's not here.

Attached Files:

6. aximbigfan

aximbigfan GPO Registered

oh, ok iget it now..thanks...but what happens when the octopus sommuns his friends to come and un latch it :sagrin: (jk of caurse)

chris