• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Nautilus Tank

Flamboyant

Hatchling
Registered
I am planning a nautilus tank the measures 60"x30"x30" and is roughly 234 gallons with a chiller of course. How many nautilus would be ok in this tank. Would you recommend different dimensions? Also I have seen nautilus tanks were they get stuck in the corner is this ok or should a piece of glass be put in each corner or maybe an airstone?

Thank You

:welcome: Flamboyant!

If there's any place on the web to have come for your query, you have certainly chosen the right spot.

This may sound a bit direct and perchance fairly hard-edge for a first response, but, please, enlighten me; why are you considering a creature which has ornamental value, as a pet, at best, and at the same time is notoriously difficult to keep, disease prone and of fragile natural stock? I am genuinely interested in your motivations, most certainly not intending to get your goat.

In any case, some of us (notably Robyn) have been keeping Nautilus for research purposes, so I am sure that these'll chime in with regards to tank requirements, appropriately.

The main gripe, besides dwindling stocks, is that Nautilus in captivity generally will develop buoyancy issues and end up either at the top or bottom of your well laid out set-up, not interacting all that much with their keeper. You can only spend your money once; I would really like you to enjoy the hobby, not feel disappointed at some stage. Have you considered Octopus or Cuttle in the process?

Cheers.

My motivation is to breed them in captivity as I would like to do with other species. I know that they are hard to take care of but I feel I can provide their requirements. This is whay I am planning a year ahead so I am sure I can provide the care they need.

The Waikiki Aquarium had their Nautilus lay eggs for years before one hatched in 1990. The baby only lived a few months. I think somewhere in Japan has had Nautilus hatch. You have to cycle the temperature of the water and keep the Nautilus in complete darkness in order to promote egg laying. This project is best taken on by a educational facility. Not to squelch your motivation, motivation is always good in this hobby/obsession...

http://www.waquarium.org/_library/images/education/marinelifeprofiles/nautilus0909.pdf

Cuttlegirl,
Do I remember correctly that the eggs take over a year to hatch and that part of the problem is they did not wait long enough?

The Waikiki Aquarium would remove the eggs from the Nautilus holding tanks (which were cold and dark) and placed them in a smaller aquarium with flow-through sea water. They left the eggs there for a long time (the tank was left undisturbed), until one day one of the aquarists noticed that one of the eggs had a shell peeking out of it.

Some of the early eggs were used by Dr. John Arnold to observe the development of the Nautilus embryo (in other words, they were sacrificed). I worked with Dr. Arnold for a while when I was a graduate student, so I got to observe some of these eggs.

http://www.reefbase.org/pacific/pub_A0000001959.aspx

From the abstract, I think that is the paper I read awhile back but it must have been on another site since this one requires login. Registration is free but a bit cumbersome when you are trying to get to the article the first time. I recommend registering, waiting on the confirmation email, signing in and clicking the keep me signed in box and THEN coming back and picking up the link. The paper is well worth reading if you are still considering this breeding program.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back