Nautilus needed (for research)

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by kmkocot, Feb 25, 2009.

1. kmkocot

kmkocot Larval Mass Registered

Hi all,

I am in desperate need of a specimen of Nautilus (any species will do) like NOW for my research. Long story short an opportunity has arose and if I want to jump on it I need to get the animal now. Does anyone know of a source where they can be ordered from (and are currently in stock)?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Hi Kevin,

I'm sure someone will chime in with answers to your question soon (don't have my finger on the pulse of Nautilus availability, sorry), but in the meantime, it might help to hear a little more about where you're located and what kind of research you're envisioning (and at what level of study)? Nautilus have fairly specific tank requirements, but I'll let those who have kept/worked with them provide more info.

3. kmkocot

Thanks! I'm located in Auburn, Alabama. Unfortunately, this is a molecular study so the specimen would have to be sacrificed :(

4. robyn

robyn Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Hi Kevin, Did you try contacting Jenny Basil at Brooklyn College? I spoke with her after you emailed Roger and he forwarded your request to me. She has frozen tissue, certainly, and some tissue fixed in PFA, I think. Let me know if what she has is no good for you.
    Good Luck.
    Robyn.

5. awoj1812

awoj1812 Larval Mass Registered

new kid...

im new to this site, how do i post questions for other people to see? im interested in buying my first pet octopus this summer, any suggestions on which species would be best to purchase?

6. Poseidon

Poseidon Larval Mass Registered

I can sometimes get them, Are you still looking?

7. kmkocot

Hi all! Sorry I missed some of your replies. Thanks for your help! I had some sent from a colleague in Germany that arrived in good condition. Thanks!

8. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Poseidon,
    Any relation to the Poseidon that was in Gainesville, GA?