Nautilus in LFS [re-titled]

WELL IT ALL STARTED WHILE I WAS VISITING THA LFS WHEN I SPOTTED A NAUTILUS WOW I THINK THAT WAS THA MOST EXCITING MOMENT OF MY LIFE OTHER THAN MY CUTTLE HATCHING! HE WAS SO LIVELY HE SHOT FROM CORNER TO CONER OF HIS TANK UNLIKE ANY CEPH I HAVE EVER SAW AND HE WAS AT A REASONABLE PRICE OF $60 I THINK THAT WAS FAIR CONSIDERING HIS SIZE THA SHELL WAS APPROX. THA SIZE OF A DINNER ROLL! SO I JUST HAD TO LET THAT OUT ONE WORD AMAZING I THINK IMA RECONSIDER MY NEXT CEPH AND TRY AND AQQUIRE ONE OF THESE BEAUTYS IF YOU HAVE NEVER SAW ONE THEN I HOPE YOU DO I HOPE EVERY CEPH ENTHUIST GETS A CHANCE TO WITNESS ONE IF YOU HAVE ALREADY THEN YOU HAVE PROBALLY FELT THA EXCITMENT HUH! THA NAUTILUS IS BY FAR THA COOLEST CEPH EVER! :nautilus: :biggrin2: :nautilus:

Nautilus are really cool, especially the baby ones. When I was working at the Waikiki Aquarium, I got to see one right after it hatched. It was about the size of a quarter and looked just like an adult, just in miniature. It was sooooo cute. It ate dead shrimp right away...

Yes, nautilus are exciting to see the first time. They're interesting to observe, but for the most part they don't do much, not like a cuttle or an octopus. I had the opportunity to see a whole tank full of them at the NRCC and they weren't nearly as interesting as the other cephs. They require a chiller and are considered difficult to keep. Not recommended, actually - I think you'd be happier with octos or cuttles.

You might look up past posts on nautilus because we've discussed them before.

Nancy

Not many people have had any luck keeping these in a home aquarium. They like cold, deep and dark tanks, probably supplemented with a lot of calcium.

Given that, the fact that it is in amateur captivity means it is already fated for death--if you've had success with cephs before and have a chiller, and its going to die anyway, I'd be inclined to say "why not?"

I understand one of the GARF people has kept nautilus succesfully, so you might try to give them an email. They seem like real yahoos from their website; but sometimes yahoos know more than you expect them to :smile:

Dan

Yeah octo oakley, you would be a lot better than the random off the street who is gonna send it to its death.
However, promoting the LFS's activities through buying it sends a mixed message.

OO your avitar is an amazing pic is it real?

You should give it a jam!!! I dont think I've seen anyone on this forum with a nautilis, and variety is the spice of life.
I spose a tank suited to one has to be nice and deep, and if you buy them young they have problems with their bouyancy (I believe).

Feelers does have a really good point. Do you know the LFS people well? If you convinced them that it is immoral for their distributor to give them nautilus and describe all their special needs; maybe you could also get them to build a special tank setup for it there at the fish shop, using your ceph experience to help, of course. A lot of fish shops love having a special display like that and they probably have the resources in terms of materials lying around and wholesale access to what they don't have. That would probably be the animal's best shot at life.

Dan

Wow! I would have thought that a lot more people would have been surprised to find a nautilus in a LFS. I know that I sure was surprised to hear about it. To my knowledge (and cephbase is down again so I can't expand it) nautilus are usually around Papua New Guinea, and the region. Is that accurate? Where else are they? I'm just assuming that any that end up in an LFS are going to be wild caught and am curious as to how far they've travelled in order to make it to a LFS. If the NRCC has a whole tank of them, do they captive breed them?

Cheers!

THA LFS ITS IN I ACTUALLY I GOT MY FIRST JOB THERE AND THA OWNER HAS HAD EXPERINCE WITH CEPHS AND SUCSESS SO THIS NAUTI WILL NOT BE SOLD TO JUST ANYBODY ACTUALLY HE IS GOING TO TAKE A VISIT TO EXAMINE THA TANK THA FUTURE OWNER PLANS ON KEEPING IT IN AND HE WILL NOT SELL IT IF ITS NOT SUITABLE FOR IT! AND RITE NOW ITS IN A 200 G. TALL CUSTOM WITH MINIMAL BUT ENOUGH LIGHT, PROPER CHILLER AND FISH FREE WITH A TWO WAY MIRRIOR FOR THE VIEWING TO REDUCE STRESS HE ORIGANALLY MADE IT FOR A GIANT PACIFIC HE HAD OWNED BUT IT WAS AT THA END OF ITS LIFE SPAN SO IT SHORTLY AND SADLY DIED AFTER RECIVING ITS NEW HOME! AND HE SUPPLYS THA NAUTI WITH CALCIUM SO IT SOUNDS LIKE ITS IN A NICE HOME! BUT YEAH LIKE ALL YOU SAID NAUTIS ARE HARD AND I HAVE HEARD MANY STORYS OF DEATH TO THEM BUT REMEMBER NOTHINGS IMMPOSSIBE I MEAN IF THA NRCC CAN KEEP THEM SUCSESSFULLY WHY COULDNT AN EXPERINCED CEPH OWNER? I KNOW IT TAKES ALOT BUT DONT YOU ALL THINK ITS POSSIBLE JUST CUZ VERY FEW HAVE HAD SUCSESS DOSENT MEAN A FEW WILL NOT COME ALONG THAT WILL IF THEY GOT THA RITE SETUP I DONT SEE WHY NOT!

OCTO OAKLEY said:
BUT YEAH LIKE ALL YOU SAID NAUTIS ARE HARD AND I HAVE HEARD MANY STORYS OF DEATH TO THEM BUT REMEMBER NOTHINGS IMMPOSSIBE I MEAN IF THA NRCC CAN KEEP THEM SUCSESSFULLY WHY COULDNT AN EXPERINCED CEPH OWNER?

Keep in mind the NRCC--both of them--are playing by a different set of rules (little political jab, there). A home aquarist buys a rectangular glass or acrylic aquarium because the primary goal is display. These materials are expensive to make a load-bearing structure out of, so home tanks are small. While a home aquarist tries to keep a nautilus in a 200 gallon tank, the NRCC probably has them swimming in 1000 gallon vats.

Dan

YEAH DAN I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING I WAS JUST MAKING A POINT THAT NAUTIS AREN'T IMMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP THERE JUST SUPER HARD AND REQUIRE SPECIAL CARE! BUT YEAH I SEE WHAT YOU MEANT YOUR RITE A 1000 GALLON WOULD BY FAR MAKE A BETTER HOME FOR ONE!

If you check out the Waikiki Aquarium page you can see a few of the challenges they had to overcome to keep nautilus' happy (and also a really cool pic of a young one!).

They vary the temperature in the tank from 57 to 72 degrees F every day!

Dan

Hey main board, they have once successfully raised nautalis in a research facility in Japan I believe. Out of 90 hatches they managed to get 2 to full growth.
The pressure of the water is very important to a young N's development, and if they are raised in a low pressure environment they kind of hang out of their shell, and the actual structure of their spiral-shell has different measurements from a non-captive one. They end up just dieing despite not having any visible sympotms.

Wierd! These guys are just so complex its really amazing. So if you raised a nautilus under pressure, does it always have to live under pressure? (hehehe, jingle coming to mind). I mean the wild caught adults that are in aquariums and the like, are all those systems pressurized? or do adults do fine adjusting to lower pressures and its just the development of the young where pressure is key? And environmentally, why do you think that nautilus young need pressure? In the wild do they grow up at depth? Thats a little different than the ceph norm of shallow babies due to better food resources. Hmmmm....very interesting.

Cheers!

Check out the link I gave earlier in the thread. The Waikiki aquarium has succesfully bred nautilus in unpressurized aquaria. Two of ten larvae survived past 1 year. I don't have anything peer-reviewed in hand, but I'm sure a quick literature search would find all sorts of details. They published a description of the larvae in Science.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back