Nautilus from the barn

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Fossils' started by spartacus, Nov 12, 2005.

1. spartacus

spartacus Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Me again with a slightly beaten up Nautilus which was found by Mrs B while excavating the barn floor for some pipe laying !

Keef

Attached Files:

2. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

I wish Erich would excavate the fossils he has hidhen around the house somewhere. We dug up a bunch many years ago from our backyard in Ft Worth. Later, had them identified and dated by the Smithsonian. I don't remember what any of them are.

3. bigGdelta

bigGdelta Vampyroteuthis Supporter

why were you keeping ancient cephs in the barn? another evil plan foiled no less

4. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Nice Nautilus Keef, looks like Mrs B has a knack for finding the good stuff. :grin:

5. spartacus

The naut had been used as infill for the clay floor when the barn was built !
    Kevin, you're not wrong, went on a fossil hunt on my birthday, had picnic on the beach & after about 5 mins of the serious hunting starting, I was already two 10 inch ammonites down on her & it was 6-0 to her before I got started though I finished on a high note. Gonna go on my own if she keeps this up :mad:

Keef

6. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

But do you look as good in a bikini ???
    Neat find...I shall have to look around here for some barns to dig in.

g

7. spartacus

Greg, I have no idea :lol: not so cut & dried as it used to be so it would be down to the observers perspective if you get my drift. Though personally I'd look crap in comparison, though I'm convinced it's very colour dependant :yuck:

once you find a suitable looking barn, dig up the floor. Couldn't be easier.

Keef

8. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Most excellent Nautilus there, please pass congratulations on to Mrs B. Beaten up it may be, but it's still a very nice specimen.

Are the roads literally paved in ammonoids in your part of France (La rue du ammon?) You really have turned up some great stuff recently.

9. spartacus

cheers young Phil !
    it does seem like they are, on ebay.fr there's been some nice Toarcien ammonites for sale which just happen to have come out of a quarry just down the road at La JaudonniƩre, may have to visit it with a case of Stella for the guys !

Keef