• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

nautilus alive!

Wygreph

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
A while back i saw a nautilus in a tank at my local fish store. I make a trip to the store every week and on the first week the guy at the store told me that he didnt think it was gonna make it...but to mine and his surprise week after week i came it was still alive. It was in a tank w/ seahorses, sea-apples and various corals. The guy let me hand feed it some frozen krill and it ate like no other! this shocked me...the water felt around 78F...How is this thing living???Has it adapted or sumthin?

Did he divulge any of his secrets? I am looking into providing a new home for a naut sometime next year. I think with the proper setup you can keep one, but the water is definately too warm! Did you notice any kalc dosing, etc... How did it look, was it aware of you, or did it just swim to the scent of a dead fish. I am, of course, super curious about the setup. Maybe it is one of those unusual occourences. Thanks and keep us posted.

Felix

It seems like it comes down to the individual. Some are very robust, some aren't! Even if its doing well though, I can't imagine it living for 20years in a situation like that.

Dan

Most of them see to adapt to captivity quite well...but at the cost of a very,very shortened lifespan.

Castor said:
Did he divulge any of his secrets? I am looking into providing a new home for a naut sometime next year. I think with the proper setup you can keep one, but the water is definately too warm! Did you notice any kalc dosing, etc... How did it look, was it aware of you, or did it just swim to the scent of a dead fish. I am, of course, super curious about the setup. Maybe it is one of those unusual occourences. Thanks and keep us posted.

Felix

To answer your questions the only thing i could that looked even a little out of the ordinary was a little bit of algae on his shell, and all i did was wave the krill in front of his face, he detached from a rock and went crazy for the food.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back