Nautiloids in the HMNS

They haven't quite finished the display yet, but it's already looking really good.

Attachments

• conv_305219.jpg
    conv_305219.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 121
  • conv_305220.jpg
    conv_305220.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 134
Architeuthoceras;189536 said:
The new Museum in Salt Lake has one ammonite, and that wasn't even in the paleontology hall. :sad: I guess that's what you get for living in a place with so many dinosaurs.

That's sad! The focus of this museum is also the dinosaurs, and very impressive they are too. The overall style though is more towards an art gallery with spectacular masterpieces rather than a communication of science. I personally would have liked to see more exceptionally preserved rarities and explanations of palaeobiology.

Attachments

• conv_299926.jpg
    conv_299926.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 92
  • conv_299927.jpg
    conv_299927.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 92
  • conv_299928.jpg
    conv_299928.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 86
Hajar;189559 said:
would have liked to see more exceptionally preserved rarities and explanations of palaeobiology
- I'm being unfair, at least when it comes to dinosaurs, since the pictures above show a) an amazing plume of tail feathers and b) a specimen with preserved skin. The labeling is not completed yet on all exhibits, so there may be much more explanation to come.

I was going to object to your originally posted complaint Hajar, only because I was blown away by the pictures you posted but I see you reviewed your photos and came to a similar conclusion :biggrin2:.

When I was 6 I went to the movies with just my father (I think this was when my baby brother was in the hospital and Dad took me out to relieve the tension, baby brother is well into adult hood now :wink:). We ended up seeing a double feature and one of the movies was the Lost World (I wanted to see Tom Jones but Dad decided that was inappropriate :biggrin2:) and the other had some other kind of monster (I saw parts of it later but still don't know the name). Both movies scared me and I retained a lingering fear of dinasaurs. In sixth grade I went on a school trip to the Smithsonian and got separated from my class (at night) in the dinasaur exhibit. I was terrified and thought it was kind of cool at the same time (I got separated because I actually wanted to LOOK at the displays and read the signs and not just run through). The lighting in the pictures reminds me of being alone with them in the Smithsonian and half brings them to life (and still look scarey to me). The display is impactive and that beats boring everyday so I'm voting to keep art in the presentation :biggrin2:.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back