Nat Geo Ammonite Action

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
This to me seems like one of the most impressive efforts so far, check out the ammonite with a sense of humour in the trailer at 00:38 :goniatite

And they've got Tusoteuthis, judging by the pictures...

Aha, you beat me to it, I'm sorry, I missed that particular connection, so many posts, so little time :smile:

I saw the imax the other week and it was well worth it. The creatures were pretty realistic and you cannot go wrong with throwing squid and ammonites in the movie.

Are ammonites thought to have possessed an ink sac??

I highly recommend this movie.

Greg

Architeuthoceras;103685 said:
If (when) I find some extra cash for a book, I will be better able to answer that question.

From the description on amazon:

highlights include new evidence for the existence of an ink sac in fossil ammonoids

:shock:Yikes, at least you would qualify for free shipping...

This prompted me to wonder if Spirula has an ink sack. Answer from TOLweb: "Radula absent. Ink sac reduced." The ink sack's consistent, the lack of radula seems wacky; I've never heard of a ceph with no radula before. But then again, I've never asked.

These authors seem to think the ink sac from the ammonoid mentioned below could be just remains of the "Black Layer" or other black deposit like those of modern nautilus. The black layer is made of the same "excretions of metabolic waste like cephalopod ink which all contain melanins"

CHRISTIAN KLUG, THOMAS BRÜHWILER, DIETER KORN, GÜNTER SCHWEIGERT, ARNAUD BRAYARD and JOHN TILSLEY 2007, AMMONOID SHELL STRUCTURES OF PRIMARY ORGANIC COMPOSITION, Palaeontology - Vol. 50 Issue 6 pages 1463–1478

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back