• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

name that cephalopod

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
My first guess is O. marginatus from all the little patterns but that looks like the meat from a cooked lobster claw!

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
The patterns make me think it's big, so I'm going to guess Sepia apama...

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I am wondering if the little bump is diagnostic (found two with posterior additions) but neither really seems to fit what we see so far so I am waiting on more clues to make another guess.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Hmmm, tough to say based on the ventral view with its sparse chromatophores, S. apama certainly contender, probably more than S. pharaonis, I would say, based on close up of arms, apama has these typical white zebra's running across that are not really represented in the first pic.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Which Sepia, besides Pfeffer's flamboyant cuttle, walks on all fours, hmmm.... I also take it this is a local species?

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Whilst trawling teh interwebz for relevant info, I came accross this little fellow filmed near Gili Trawangan... Wow, Wow, Wow!

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
It's not a smallish latimanus, is it?

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
You're correcting my lolspeak :wink:

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Given the amount of possible differences in colouration, anything goes, really :wink: S. plangon does have these two distinct "horns" on its posterior mantle, visible in the second pic, so...

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
PS: S. latimanus also appears to show the bright yellow green surrounding the eyes.

Members online