Mythos Sightings

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
This is a place for mentioning Lovecraftian references, in-jokes, and otherwise guest appearances by refugees from the HPL's oeuvre:

Last night, while watching the old episode of Futurama where Leela is almost duped into marrying a shape-changing cad who has convinced her that he's the last eligible male of her race, Fry and Bender manage to crash the wedding at the last minute with the other four alien brides he was stringing along. If you haven't seen this episode, then imagine, if you will, one of the Great Race of Yith - with a flower wreath and wedding dress, holding a bouquet in one of it's pincers. As far as I can tell, this is the first appearance by one of these aliens outside of print.

Aw I love the Yithians! I guess Dr Zoidberg is a kind of cross between a Starspawn and one of them that Mindflayers from D&D. The ever popular RPG series Final Fantays has had more than a few Cthulhu-esque references too! I'll try and dig them out!

The Garuda has take shape in a couple games of hte series as either an insectoid, like a Byakhee, or more like a Shantak.
The Hecteyes monster looks suspiciously like a shoggoth.
The Sahagin look very suspiciously like deep ones.
The large bird known as a Zu was renamed a Shantak in Final Fantasy X-2.

That's all I can find just now.

Graeme

Grim adventures of Billy and Mandy: "Prank call of Cthulhu"; Billy and Irwin use the Grim Reapers supernatural phone because they are frustrated that everyone has caller ID and they can't successfully prank call anyone. Anyway, idiots A and B prank-call Cthulhu for some reason. Anyway, Cthulhu hires the two morons (Billy and Irwin) to do "prank calls" for him that really just turn people into mythos-type-monsters. The cafeteria person resembles a shoggoth and Irwin becomes a Cthulhu-like/looking creature.

Some random comic has one of the computer nerd summon Cthulhu, but it seems that the books were wrong and that the "elder" god is only a baby. Cthulhu parents needed some "us time" and sent Lil Cuthy to the person who summoned them as his babysitter. Poor fella.

Cephkid said:
Poor Fnanp.

I'm not sure what the editorial policy is on this, but I've refrained from mentioning that comic because, in general, it's "adult-oriented" (as well as astoundingly tasteless.) Of course, I read it, and thought it was pretty funny, but it definitely crosses the line of "there are parents who wouldn't want their kids to read this."

Tony, (or the "Cthulhu" forum moderators) do we have a policy on this? I don't see anything in the "please read before posting," but I seem to remember Tony asking someone to move something to "supporters" as it became a bit too extreme in this direction... Not that there's anything wrong with the 2 strips that Cephkid posted, but about 75% of those comics are pretty tasteless (and I consider myself pretty hard to offend with "weird sex" stuff). I suppose since no one linked directly to the comic site, maybe it's OK, though... just figured I'd bring up the topic.

monty said:
I'm not sure what the editorial policy is on this, but I've refrained from mentioning that comic because, in general, it's "adult-oriented" (as well as astoundingly tasteless.) Of course, I read it, and thought it was pretty funny, but it definitely crosses the line of "there are parents who wouldn't want their kids to read this."

Tony, (or the "Cthulhu" forum moderators) do we have a policy on this? I don't see anything in the "please read before posting," but I seem to remember Tony asking someone to move something to "supporters" as it became a bit too extreme in this direction... Not that there's anything wrong with the 2 strips that Cephkid posted, but about 75% of those comics are pretty tasteless (and I consider myself pretty hard to offend with "weird sex" stuff). I suppose since no one linked directly to the comic site, maybe it's OK, though... just figured I'd bring up the topic.

Yeah, I try to be pretty careful what I post from there for that reason, although most everything I enjoy on there is 'lil Cuthy anyway.

monty said:
Tony, (or the "Cthulhu" forum moderators) do we have a policy on this?
That comic made it easy for me to delete since it contained profanity, which it outside of guidelines.

Generally, I support sharing Ceph Art / comics / whathaveyou so long as 1) it's not profane, and 2) it's not extremely offensive (I know, I know, that's all in the eye of the beholder... but on this site I am the supreme beholder! :police:)

You guys know me. I try not to remove posts/threads too readily (at least not since the infamous People's Feet debacle :shock:)

tonmo said:
That comic made it easy for me to delete since it contained profanity, which it outside of guidelines.

Generally, I support sharing Ceph Art / comics / whathaveyou so long as 1) it's not profane, and 2) it's not extremely offensive (I know, I know, that's all in the eye of the beholder... but on this site I am the supreme beholder! :police:)

You guys know me. I try not to remove posts/threads too readily (at least not since the infamous People's Feet debacle :shock:)

Does this count against my posts?:razz: Yeah, I know, I know, it had profanity...it was so people could see the comic chrono described...:oops:

I hear ya -- but no excuses, post was not necessary! But no demerits, and no worries. We should be on the same page at this point; thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back