Myth, Legend, and Symbolism

Welcome!

"Larval mass" just means that you haven't posted much yet. You'll see that other members have different designations, according to how much they've posted.

Interesting link you've provided us with.

Nancy

Thanks! Also, here is a bit from Apollinaire's "Le Bestiare ou Corteg D'Orphee"--translated

Throwing its ink against the skies,
Sucking the blood of what he loves
And finding it delicious
This human monster, it is myself.

Sort of combines the dark and dangerous with the erotic.

Scyllady;125560 said:
( I am sure there was an octopus in the stable with the infant king and the holy family.)

The film 'Love Actually' has a school Nativity pageant (in Britain) scene, and one of the kids dressed as animals in the manger is indeed an octopus!

Attachments

• conv_293615.jpg
    conv_293615.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 145
Myth, Legend, and Symbolism

IMHO, there is indeed something primal about Architeuthis-as-archetype. Does it symbolize our own subconscious, lurking in the shadowy depths below the surface of our "higher" mind, difficult to conceptualize for the very reason that it is so inseparable a part of us? The human mind studying itself must, by definition, affect the object of its study. It is elusive, like Architeuthis. "Squid = Id"? Why not?

The seemingly paradoxical "fear and curiosity" reaction, I believe, comes from the simultaneously familiar and alien features of the animal. Too many legs, rocket-shaped body, predatory beak, gargantuan size -- alien. Great human-like eyes, dexterity of limbs, ease of movement -- familiar. Though we have not yet seen any living adults, we take pleasure in artistic representations of them. Even though they may raise a shudder in some observers, we remain fixated upon their image. We want to know them, as we want to know ourselves, in spite of ourselves.... dark corners and all.

What would Jung say? Freud? Any and all contributions of ceph legends, and commentary/analysis by TONMOers, would be most appreciated.

Sasync;141448 said:
So I just finished watching the trailer for Dragon Ball and the Street fighter movie, I doubt either will be good but I do plan on going to see both of them. I would like to know what you guys think about both movies?

Does this have something to do with cephalopods? If not, then please keep things on-topic. Shameless plug: you can join the supporters and post off-topic all you want in the supporters forum for a small donation.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back