Myth, Legend, and Symbolism

Attachments

• conv_290364.jpg
    conv_290364.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 209
I always thought that type of symbol was the sun! It never crossed my mind it was an octopus. My Spanish is limited (understatment) but I could follow the gist of the accompanying article to understand that it is indeed an octopus :sun: and considered a national treasure. Thanks for the eyeopener

Not to split hairs, but according to the article the headdress is a depiction of "a feline sea god with octopus-like tentacles." Can you imagine that combination? The Machiavellian of a cat with twice as many appendages to carry out its will! And unimpeded by water. *Shudder*
Great find!

Cheers!

Edit: Not really sure if I used 'Machiavellian' properly, but I like how it represents cats.

Wonderful stuff

I'm sure someone has mentioned the Goddess Hitt who is a Polynesian Octopus mother creator. My brother probably said SOMETHING about it.

Hey Mom! Ya, dig up those pictures of me with the unicorn, I need copies. :smile: People still don't believe me.

Joy

Hummingbird;96224 said:
I'm sure someone has mentioned the Goddess Hitt who is a Polynesian Octopus mother creator. My brother probably said SOMETHING about it.

You know, other than that one source you provided me with, I've found tons of other South Pacific ceph-deities, but never have found a single mention of Hitt, who was evidently not from Polynesia but the Solomon Islands. Hummingbird, go to your source and make them cough-up more on this! It's such a great story, but I need more authentication! Oh, and "Hitt" doesn't sound like anything I've found from the Solomons or the rest of that part of the Pacific. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I want more! Erotic octopus goddesses rule.

Monty, doomo arigatoo gozaimashita for posting that fantastic woodcut. Naturally, any ceph image is great and beautiful ceph images are greater, but beautiful Japanese ceph images are the greatest! Wish I could find a good print of that on eBay.... *sigh*

Hummingbird, I did a Google search for "goddess hitt" and "hitt goddess", both as specific phrases and as individual words appearing on the same page, and could not find any related references online other than your post. I agree with your bro' that the name Hitt doesn't sound like it comes from any Pacific Island language. I have a feeling that the name is differently spelled and/or has a different origin.... perhaps Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Phoenician, or the like?

Let's do some detective work and see if we can find the real erotic ceph goddess! Anyone want to try Googling some different spellings? Might be fun....

~ Tani ~

Hello all,
I am hoping to jettison a bit of life into this really interesting thread with the following article linking Aphrodite to the octopus:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cach...+in+legend+and+myth&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=21&gl=us

It is from a book called "Evolution of the Dragon" by G. Elliot Smith.

I'm new to the forum, although not to myth, legend, symbols or octopus-obsession. Last year I did put up an octopus Christmas tree and have found, to my amazement, that there are others out there who have done the same thing. The challenge is finding what I consider beautiful or interesting ornaments and not shlok. ( I am sure there was an octopus in the stable with the infant king and the holy family.)

Thank you for all these interesting posts over the years!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back