Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the first one!

OctoPussyAZ

Wonderpus
Supporter
Reaction score
Scyllady;125560 said:
( I am sure there was an octopus in the stable with the infant king and the holy family.)
The film 'Love Actually' has a school Nativity pageant (in Britain) scene, and one of the kids dressed as animals in the manger is indeed an octopus!

OctoPussyAZ

Wonderpus
Supporter
Reaction score
Have you found Tarvuism yet, and felt the gentle caress of the Holy Octopus?

http://tarvu.com/

Attachments

nanoteuthis

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Reaction score
My dear Octopussy, you are very wise; you will be eaten last.

~ :cthulhu: ~

pretty women

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
Myth, Legend, and Symbolism

IMHO, there is indeed something primal about Architeuthis-as-archetype. Does it symbolize our own subconscious, lurking in the shadowy depths below the surface of our "higher" mind, difficult to conceptualize for the very reason that it is so inseparable a part of us? The human mind studying itself must, by definition, affect the object of its study. It is elusive, like Architeuthis. "Squid = Id"? Why not?

The seemingly paradoxical "fear and curiosity" reaction, I believe, comes from the simultaneously familiar and alien features of the animal. Too many legs, rocket-shaped body, predatory beak, gargantuan size -- alien. Great human-like eyes, dexterity of limbs, ease of movement -- familiar. Though we have not yet seen any living adults, we take pleasure in artistic representations of them. Even though they may raise a shudder in some observers, we remain fixated upon their image. We want to know them, as we want to know ourselves, in spite of ourselves.... dark corners and all.

What would Jung say? Freud? Any and all contributions of ceph legends, and commentary/analysis by TONMOers, would be most appreciated.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Reaction score
Sasync;141448 said:
So I just finished watching the trailer for Dragon Ball and the Street fighter movie, I doubt either will be good but I do plan on going to see both of them. I would like to know what you guys think about both movies?
Does this have something to do with cephalopods? If not, then please keep things on-topic. Shameless plug: you can join the supporters and post off-topic all you want in the supporters forum for a small donation.

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Erich's reading it. He was telling me about it last night. LIkes it.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
The Kraken: when myth encounters science
B Rodrigo, Barbara M. Tomotani 2014 (full paper)

@tonmo Note the TONMO link in the references under O'Shea and Bolstad (@Tintenfisch you are also referenced in several places)

ABSTRACT
Hundreds of years ago, sailors were terrified by the Kraken, a dreadful sea monster capable of sinking ships and with a taste for human flesh. Today we know the legends of this monster were based on sightings of giant squids. This animal belongs to the genus Architeuthis and was the subject of many scientific studies. Despite its enormous size (up to 18m), the giant squid is astoundingly elusive and much of its biology remains unknown. Thus shrouded in mystery, Architeuthis is almost a mythological creature and has a place both in science and in myth: the very last of the legends to persist to this day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes47

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak