Mystique A. aculeatus

I have been putting live food in. At least for now. I want her to relax and I have been adding live rock and changed the set up a little bit with her in there so its no surprise that shes still hiding. I added a sump to the tank which makes a huge dent in making the tank look cleaners, not to mention better for her and less risk. I would love to have a web cam or something on the tank to see her out at night. I think I will be looking into that tonight.

I think I will stop adding live food in about a week, or until they are gone if I dont start seeing her.

Just checking in, have you seen her? I had a spell where we nerver saw my O. briareus. My son was up at 5am and lone behold guess who was out walking on the glass. He woke me and I grabbed my camera. I was so thankful, had he not been up so early, I'd never had seen him. (the octopus not my son)
It may not be a bad idea (just slightly insane) to set your alarm and check in the wee hours. I will be keeping my :fingerscrossed: (bet that is the most frequently used smiley even though it is not technically a smiley) that you see her soon and gain peace of mind.

Thank you. I have been staying up late trying to get a peek at her. I swear this tank is like hide and seeks best friend lol.

I bet you are right about the :fingerscrossed: icon. We all use it so much while we are holding our breath to find out if they will make it.

Well it looks like you were right about being up early mornings. My son woke me at 4 this morning and I went to go make him some milk to sooth him when I looked at the tank and low and behold who should I see?? None other than Mystique sitting on the glass like she had never been bothered lol. She looks just fine, and I think it is a fair statement to say that she is absolutely not A. aculeatus but instead is the dwarf version D mentioned.

I hope you can get pictures. We have had a couple of small nocturnal's from Live Aquaria that look like A. aculeatus but smaller and were thought to be abaculus but Roy did a quick review for us and doesn't think that is a species fit. From the acclimation photo, I don't think it is the small macropus that both Will and I received from them (and I had one other through Thales) so we are still hunting an ID.

I hope I can too... It isnt often that I am awake at 4 am so who knows when I will see her again. So far the only other pic we have is the one my husband CANT send me because his "new" phone is messing up. I didnt quite have the frame of mind to take any this morning :biggrin2: you know seeing as how I was awake at 4 am. :lol:

Yeah! you need to get your camera ready at night and set your alarm. If you are determined enough to drag yourself out of bed. I would also be trying to feed her at this time. Do you have fiddlers? I have found that the feeder shrimp from Paul go uneaten, none of my octopusps even hunt them. The shrimp from Tom, they are some big, honkin ugly things. My little O. hummelincki hunted them all day long and in two days got both. Next time I order from him, I am going to get more of these.
I am so excited to see her, can't wait for photos.

Very interested in this automatic water changer?? You could market that and make a fortune :biggrin2:

I havent been putting fiddlers in. I have been buying shrimp and putting them in there. They have been disappearing so something is catching them lol. I thought about trying to feed her when I saw her but I was kind of afraid she would run and hide. I didnt know how she would react to first interaction being me shoving my hand in the tank lol.

The auto water changer isnt my idea at all... There is a guy here in Houston that did it and he has offered to let me pick his brain and see his system. Right now I am getting the supplies needed for it... gonna be a long time :roll: but it will be worth it just to put water in a container and have the water rock steady.

So I feel like a noodle head. :lol: I just went to the tank to add water to the sump and there was Mystique right there on a rock for all the world to see. She apparently always sits there as she didnt move or flinch or anything when I approached the tank.

Earlier today she was out around 2 pm. Looking for food I would imagine as I havent been putting live food in for her. Anyway, this after noon she was easily spooked but I was able to take one "Where's Mystique" picture. Tonight I am not able to take any pictures as I have no clue as to where my camera is and my camera phone flash has stopped working... So, I am a noodle head. Apparently she has been right there for all the eyes to see and I missed her. And the funny thing is, she is sitting RIGHT THERE in the middle of the tank! :lol: Tricky little octopus.

So I finally got an in tank picture of Mystique. I put food in there and 20 min later out she comes.

Mystique.jpg

She is VERY cute! She is still REALLY shy but not nearly as shy as Sedona. I am actually able to see her most of the time now though her camo is amazing. My husband even commented on how well she hid in plan sight. The only reason I saw her is 1 I know where to look now and 2 because she does the whole bobbing thing sometimes which catches my eye. Because of all the outings she is taking I worry that like Sedona I will only have a few short weeks with her; though all we can ever do is hope for the best and give them the healthiest home possible.

I am SOOO EXCITED! Mystique has gotten on a schedule! For the last few days she comes out during the day around 12 and sits there, I come by and check on her and put a crab right in front of her. Not even one second later she comes back out of the hole and GRABS IT!! Very YAY. I am still hoping that she is just a baby, and that would explain her being so shy instead of a dwarf that is at the end of its life. She is eating SO well. I would just hate it if she left us so soon. YAY! I am excited.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back