Mystery squid in Magnapinna video footage.

I was reviewing this footage on youtube today and at about 1:48 into it what is clearly a very different species appears. I have no idea what it is, looks a bit like an Archi (but I know that it isn't) Anyone have an idea?

Hi there and :welcome:!!!

What you're looking at is likely a (spent) female Gonatus onyx, or similar species, cradling the remnants of an egg mass, which has recently hatched. Beautiful animal, though no giant.

Upvote 0
ob;170593 said:
Hi there and :welcome:!!!

What you're looking at is likely a (spent) female Gonatus onyx, or similar species, cradling the remnants of an egg mass, which has recently hatched. Beautiful animal, though no giant.

Or that!

Upvote 0
At first I thought it was probably a Moroteuthis robusta, but to me it's fins are off. Cool, Never heard of Gonatus onyx before, will be researching this species tonight, now I'm curious about them, thank you. I was wondering if that was an egg mass she was holding on to. Thanks So Much!

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back